From:
Soren Eriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:02:18 +0200

My three children, all girls aged 10, 14 and 15, are celiacs. The oldest and
youngest had clear diagnoses confirmed after biopsies of their small
intestines. The middle girl, however, has undergone two biopsies with no
clear result. The first one was said to result in a too small sample, the
second was, for unknown reasons, also declared inconclusive. No villi was
found in either sample. All three had antibodies for endomycium but none of
them for gliadin.

For insurance reasons, the inconclusive result for my middle daughter is not
satisfactory. The second biopsy was in December last year and we have so far
turned down the proposal for a third biopsy. Instead, she is now on a GF
diet and happy with that.

My question is: Is this type of outcome of a biopsy common? Are the
difficulties of doing a proper biopsy in any way linked to damage of the
small intestine?

Would be grateful if anyone with experience in the field could provide an
answer.

By the way, both my wife and I have tested negative to endomycium antibodies
and have not undergone biopsies, but we both have a history of stomach
problems and depression. What would you do if your were in a similar=
 situation?

Soren Eriksson
Sweden