From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:06:37 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I was recently contacted by Hershey's regarding my listing of some of their
products as gluten-free on the "Gluten-Free Products" page on my Web site.
They asked me to remove all mention of their products from my site. It
seems they no longer feel comfortable listing the gluten-free status of
their products publicly. Their excuse was that their ingredients could
change at any time, which could create problems for them (i.e., legal
liability). I hope more companies do not follow suit and stop listing the
gluten-free status of their products, or stop allowing other to do so.

Also, please remember to be courteous when calling any company about their
products, and to thank them for providing any information...even if you get
some bad news. I hope a few "bad apples" calling Hershey's had nothing to
do with their decision. To date, Hershey's has been great with regard to
celiacs, and I hope they continue to be. I also hope more companies don't
follow suit and go down the "play it safe" route, and not guarantee the
gluten-free status of their products.

Take care,

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Support Page: