From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:24:32 -0500

Hello Everyone

It hardly seems possible that the trip to New Zealand that I started planning 9 months ago will be happening in 4 weeks!  I have managed to book accommodation in self-contained cottages for the most part (cooking facilities in the room), and will be hitting the major spots on both the North and South Islands.   Dinner and breakfast I can pretty much do in my room, but lunches have me a bit stumped, because I must stay on a GF/yeast-free/low carb diet while "on the road." So I will be packing lunches for the day -- and most days promise to be extremely active.

1)  Given my dietary restrictions, what is your favorite recipe or suggestion that would travel well and could serve as lunch?  I plan to be doing a fair amount of back-packing-type stuff, but can't eat those "energy" bars made with honey or dried fruits (must avoid sweet stuff).

2)  To my fellow listserv members who live in New Zealand, I plan to be stocking up on some things in Auckland before departing on the road in my rental car.  Does anyone have suggestionsas as to brand names and/or favorite health food stores or shops that sell GF products in Auckland or Wellington or Christchurch or Te Anau?  Do any shops sell almond "flour" -- just pulverized almonds?  I don't do well with starch, so a lot of GF bread would not work for me.  Any tips from Kiwi backpackers who might face the same dietary restrictions?

Thanks a million for all suggestions/recipes.  I will summarize!

Lati