Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:55:07 -0500

Here is my summary of convenience main dishes and finger foods. Thank you
to all who responded. Most responses however were for US products, which
are not available here in Canada. Some posters sent ideas and recipes for
making my own finger foods. I appreciate your help, but I'm actually trying
to get out of the kitchen....

Re: Amy's Kitchen - I have contacted the company to see if they sell in
Canada, and although they referred my to their Canadian distributor, it's
been four days and they have yet to return my message.

Mayacama's pasta sauce mixes (health food stores)
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html), with
Tinkyada pasta

Thai Kitchen Pad Thai - (health food or regular grocery store) - this
requires adding some ingredients, but it is really done in 15 minutes
and tastes quite good

Thai Kitchen Noodle Bowl - (health food or regular grocery store)  Just
add water and eat.  Not gourmet, but good.

Cheese Rosti (health food store) this is great stuff, kind of a cheesy
hash brown potatoes.  You just warm it up in a fry pan.  I don't
remember the company that made it.

Moshe's Tamales (health food stores)  You just microwave these; they are
vegan and taste like real Mexican tamales. I've tried two varieties
(poblano, spinach), there may be others that aren't gluten free.

Check out the commercial food listing at delphiforums.com.  You have to
register, then find the celiac page where there is a pdf file.  There is
Perdue chicken wings in the meats section at the grocery store, I think
it's the hot and spicy ones and they're very good, but please double check
on that.

Dinty Moore beef stew is gf and is available (in the states anyway) in both
cans and a new microwavable dish. I have taken this with me to gatherings.
The microwavable product comes in a box and doesn't have to be refrigerated
before opening. Another thing I have used is Hormel canned tamales, but
these are messy.

Yorkshire Farms makes a 'chicken nugget' which is gluten
free.  Not sure as to the availability in Canada.  Their
website is:  www.yorkshirefarms.com

Delimex makes a 'taquito' which is GF.  Corn tortilla with
chicken or beef, and cheese.

If you have Hormel in Canada, Hormel beef au jus and pork au jus entrees
are GF. Yes, they have gravy but is it the natural juices with no wheat.

I've just discovered the Oscar Meyer Little Smokies.
According to the National Celiac Sprue Association,
they are gluten-free. Plus, there's only one gram of
sugar (and total carbs) per serving so it is great for
us low-carbers. I often eat them with cheese and
pepperoni for a snack (Hormel pepperoni is GF).

I like stuffed grape leaves (dolmas) and hummus which I can get in most
supermarkets here.  I also use for lunches at work: Thai kitchen Rice
Noodle Bowls with mushrooms, garlic or spring onions. They come in a
plastic bowl. You just add the seasoning packets & boiling water and let
it stand for 3 minutes. I also stir in some peanut butter, to give it a
little more substance.

I have discovered that corn tortillas wrapped around GF hot dogs or
sausages taste much better than any GF hotdog buns. You do need to heat
the tortillas first - you can do this on a paper plate covered with
plastic wrap or wax paper in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It
could probably also be done on a grill wrapped in foil.

Frozen entrees: I have found a few Indian dishes (Ethnic Gourmet) and a
lasagna (Amy's) which I've taken to dinners -- but I'm not sure if those
are available in your area.

Do you have a Trader Joes store? They have frozen chicken taquitos that can
be popped in the microwave.

There are several Amy frozen packages that are good. I've only used the
Shepherd's Pie.
There is:
Mexican tamali Pie
Cheese Enchiladeas
Black Bean ""
Rice Mac & Cheese
Asian Noodle Stir Fry
Thai Stir Fry
Teriyaki Stir Fry skillet meal
Brown Rice &Veg bowl
Lentil soup
Rice pasta lasagna
to name a few.

I posted a note to the group, but it hasn't shown up yet--I called Tyson and
the Heat and Eat chicken breasts and legs are gf. They are in the meat
section in small packages about 5X5 or so (not frozen). Tyson said they are
gluten free.

For finger foods you could buy Aidels sausage and cut them up, put a round
of dill pickle and skewer them with a toothpick.  Fresh vegie sticks of
celery and carrot.
I usually take a fresh garden salad to lunches, and dinners.  I buy the
spring mix, wash it again, spin it and chop up celery, red pepper, and
cucumber into it.  You can add anything you like to make it fancy.  Other
guests always welcome the salad.

This week I dipped strawberries in chocolate, and they went down well at a
ladies luncheon.

Or cook something and keep it in the fridge til you need to pull it out for
a party.

The Hormel Beef roast Au Jus and the pork roast Au Jus are wonderful!