Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 19:44:08 -0700

You guys rock!

Well, after I wrote to the list explaining the situation with Pacific
Rice Milks: that they're produced on the same lines as the multi grain
and oat milks, with a wash in between runs, I realized that MANY people
had problems with Pacific brand, as well as other rice milks.  Only one
of about twenty replies said that Pacific does NOT cause them problems.

After a week on a pure diet (nothing prepackaged, only veggies, fruits
and meats with rice) I tried the Pacific rice milk again and in two
hours I am bloated out like I'm five months pregnant and in pain.  I
will not drink that junk again.  Sad day.

I believe that for some reason people can react to certain things, while
others don't.  Perhaps this is a nuance of the disease we don't
understand: perhaps different "forms" of Celiac Disease.  Just as now we
understand the different types of Diabetes.

People had many helpful suggestions.  A few had very specific ones which
I will paste below.  One VERY shocking thing happened with this posting:
I recieved FIVE, yes five! emails from people telling me, or asking me,
whether Rice Dream rice milk is gluten free!  I believe there are many
people on this list still drinking Rice Dream rice milk.  For the record
-  It is NOT gluten free.

Other suggestions were that I make my own rice milk (which I'll do
tonight), that I switch to Blue Diamond Almond Milk (haven't checked
contamination risks on that yet), that I check out Harmony Farms (which
I will do, but haven't yet), and that I stop being so sensitive (that
was a nice one, thanks).  Lots of people suggested a sensitivity to
yeast which is exacerbated by the carbohydrates in the rice.  Others
suggested a sensitivity to other foods like soy or eggs.

People suggested Better Than Milk.  The biggest suggestion which I will
try is DariFree which I guess is made by Vance's.  They're online and
I'm going to check on them and try to get some ASAP.  I'm dying here for
some coffee with creamer.

One very nice suggestion I had was that I need to look into my Niacin
levels, and a few people suggested taking Quercetin supplements.  I went
out and bought some and once I call TwinLabs to check on the GF status I
will begin taking 250 mg a day.  And usually I don't like taking
supplements like that.  I'm a nutrition purist, but I'm deperate!

Below I will paste a few links and recipes.

*************

1 cup cooked rice
3 cups almost boiling water
couple tablespoons oil
pinch of rice
Optional - a little vanilla extract (GF of course)  ( I currently do not
   put this in)

Boil the water
Add the cooked rice to blender, with oil, rice and Vanilla (if using)
Add 1 cup of the boiled water and blend on medium speed.  Blend until
creamy.
(About a minute)
Add second cup of water.  Blend again. (a minute or less)
Add third cup of water.  Blend again ( a minute or less)
Strainer thru strainer if desired

Hints:

Tastes better if use freshly cooked rice
I used to strain it with a mesh strainer - now I don't bother
I always use organic rice - sometimes short grain brown rice sometimes
long grain.

I bought a new container to store it in - old container had been used to
store milk I bought a new blender that is only used for me and my son -
no milk products in this baby!

Remember - need to take supplements that were in commercially produced
rice milk

*****************

Here are two recipes I found for you.
http://www.vegweb.com/food/drink/rice-milk.shtml
http://www.vegweb.com/food/drink/4292.shtml

(thanks to Theresa)

Sincerely,
Joanna Pass

PS I asked about Westsoy products being GF.
Unfortunately, the majority of people who wrote said they think the
people at Westoy are idiots who don't know their a..  Oh ooops - their
Gluten Free from their Wheat Free.  I have also found this to be the
case in the past with them.  Will look into it further.