From:
Morgaine Mehl Madrona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:27:36 EST

Dear Listpersons, I am having trouble posting this so I hope that it
comes to you.  Thank you to everyone who sent me info on Manhatten it
was fun and helpful.  Sorry it took me so long to summarize but her it
is. (the other posts are a somewhat extensive guide I found online)
Morgaine Madrona, vermont ...but for now east village NYCity

Manhatten Gluten Free Eating?

I dont know the exact location but if you go to the FDairways
Supermarket they have gluten free shopping. ** I have heard that Rose of
Bombay, a little restaurant on the lower east side actually has a gluten
free menu!  I have not yet had a chance to try it...

Also, try this link...has some helpful pointers.
http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/NYC.txt ** The best place to
shop is Healthy Pleasures on 12th and University Place.  It is a great
organic store that has gluten free products, pastas, cookies, breads,
crackers, etc.  The other great store, is Perelandra in Brooklyn
Heights.  I actually think it has a better selection (more vendors to
choose from) than Healthy Pleasures if you have the time to go there.
You can take the 4,5 to the Borough Hall stop and it is on Remsen
street.  Unfortunately this city isn't all that friendly for gluten free living.

Another store that I heard was good but haven't been too myself yet is Bruno's
Ravioli's on the upper west side.  I've heard great things about them.

Also if you are interested in joining the NYC Support group you can contact
Dunnie Chenel at 212-755-9541.

*****

Believe it or not, but Bruno the Pasta King, at 79th and Broadway (SE crnr)
has a whole selection, including some Foods by George.

***

Manhattan is not a good place for GF food. Most health food store personnel
will barely know what you're talking about.  But for eating out there are
Indian (and Pakistani) restaurants all over. Except for the rare ones that
use tomato paste, all the curries are GF. And when with a group it is easy
to steer them to an Indian restaurant, as generally they are reasonably
priced.

The celiac support group has met a couple times for dinner at New Delhi, on
the NE corner of Lexington and 28th.

****

We ate successfully at Mars 2112 and at Ellen's Stardust Diner.  Also
Jekyl & Hyde's in Breenwich village.  We usually consider eating in
restaurants fairly risky business, so we were pleased that we had
some success at these establishments.  There are four celiacs in the
family, three of whom are under the age of 8 -- so these aren't
"upscale" restaurants by any means.

******

Welcome to the crazy city! There's a bakery on St. Marks between 1st
and ave A in the east village. It's a vegan bakery but if you ask the guy,
he'll tell you which goodies are gluten free as well as wheat free.
In the same neighborhood (on 12th street between 1st and 2nd) is a vegan
restaurant called "Angelica Kitchen". They will let you see a book (upon
request) which lists all of the ingredients to everything on the menu.
It's great food and really popular so if you plan on going on a weekend
night, prepare to wait.

********

 One place I have found is on 3rd avenue between 21st and 22nd street
(almost on the corner of 21st)  I don't remember the exact name but you
really can't miss it.  It's a small natural foods store and carries
wheat-free bread, cereals, wheat free soy sauce and probably more.

********

(the following post is a somewhat extensive guide I found online Morgaine