From:
Diane Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:31 -0400

My recently-diagnosed CD boy-girl twins, aged 11, have been GF 4 and 2 months, respectively.  My daughter was gf but occasionally felt "feverish," during that time,  looking and feeling sick.  Thinking there were perhaps allergies involved, I had both children tested for delayed food allergies through Immunolabs. Both children's test results indicated reactivity to many foods, including eggs and casein.  We have eliminated all of the many indicated foods from the diet.  Both children now react strongly and for 3-4 days if they eat any of the foods to which they are supposed to have an allergy. I have discontinued vitamins and calcium suppplements because they ones we were using had allergens among the ingredients. I am looking for more suitable ones.  The allergy tests results have been a useful guide, I think, but not as accurate as claimed.

Each child has lost about 3 pounds in a month's time of avoiding these reactive foods,  and neither is looking better.  My daughter seems even more tired.  I am thinking that maybe not being able to absorb foods because they are in the healing phase of CD, plus removing lots of nutrient sources because they are foods that may be causing allergies, has put the children in a losing situation.  What can I do?  I don't think I can just add the suspected foods back into the diet because the children are really reacting now to these foods--feeling sick, mentally disturbed, and completely worn out after eating a  suspected food allergen.

Are there gf/cf food supplements that can fill in until the intestinal damage from CD heals? Does anyone have recommendations or different ideas of what to do?  There is a pharmacy in town that compounds; I don't know if they could create something.  My daughther has taken an anti-histamine (Periactin) which is also an appetite stimulant that helped her gain weight right after she was diagnosed, but she was eating a greater variety of foods then.  We need to be doing something different.
Thanks, Diane Loomis