From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:42:40 -0400

Some time ago, I requested info on dining in London, Brussels and Prague.
I received several responses, and now I'm finally summarizing them. I know
this is long.  I apologize for the delay!  I'm finally leaving for my first
overseas trip since diagnosis!!  Belated thank you to those of you who
responded!!

--Mildred Oberkotter

*Buy bread from Ener-G Foods (my favorite is tapioca, and they
deliver in about two or three weeks by UPS) it is vacuum packed and
advertises a shelf life of six months.

<http://www.digimktg.com/enrg/nrg2.html>

*For breakfast, bring Instantcream of rice - especially find ground) and
some cinnamon, Instant grits.  I buy fresh fruit, but also take some dried
currants to add to the cereal.  Get dried apricots, raisins and nuts in a
local market for snacking

Most bead and breakfasts have boiling water, so you can boil eggs.

Frequently the kitchen help  will cook the eggs.

Carry red lentils to go with the rice for an evening
meal, buy lettuce, etc.  Most European countries have wonderful deli
sections and salad bars in their grocery stores.

*The pharmacy, Boots has gf foods, including products made by Juvela- a
company in Ireland,  gluten-free bread that has wheat starch with the
gluten taken out of it, and a very nice selection of cookies and crackers
and Schar brand pasta products.

*Most English people are educated about gluten-free living.  Most people
will understand if you ask for gluten free food.  There is a shop
inVictoria Station called "Holland and Barrett" which carries the Glutano
line of food and has bread, cake, cereal, pasta, chocolate bars, cookies,
and a few other things. The musli is very good.  Tesco also carries some
stuff and fresh fruit.  Canned rice pudding is available at most
supermarkets.  Eating out is a little more challenging, but places which
serve "jacket potatos" are abundant.  You can have the cheese, tuna, and
the beans, in most cases they are from Heinz.  Try the little pubs - they
tend to serve really good homecooked meals and can usually modify them to
be gluten free.  Be careful of MacDonald's -get an ingredients manifest.

Most of the teas,  ice creams and candy  bars are OK.

There is a little pub and eatery near Buckingham palace where they
take you upstairs to eat..  Do not have the avocado bake - gave me the
worst case of food poisoning!

Most of the people in England and Scotland are quite willing to help out.

If you can book your B&B in advance (look at the travel agencies for what
they call a BABA (book-a-bed-ahead), you may be able to alert your host to
your gf status and they might be able to pick up some food for you. The
hostels are also quite accomadating.

*All over continental Europe (I don't know about England) there are
stores called Reform Houses.  They sell a variety of health foods and have
a LARGE amount of gluten-free items.  Gluten allergies are much more common
in Europe than in the U.S.

*It is to get gf food in England.  All the head waiters know what gluten
free is.  Look up health foodstores listed in the phone books.  They have
EnerG bread.  Almost everybody knows what CD is over there.  Try the jacket
potatoes (baked potatoes) at the tea shopes.

*If you like Indian food it should be GF and there are Indian restaurants
all over London.  The only problem was the last night and they used tomato
paste. I was letting down my guard and didn't ask. So ask that and you'll
be safe as long as they don't use it.

*In the Czech Republic, there are shops which have a very small number of
items which were clearly stated to be GF.

In the U.K., you should contact the UK Coeliac Society for help.  They
produce a "Food Guide" for GBP3-50 + postage and this will
allow you to pick out foods from ordinary supermarkets.

<http://www.coeliac.co.uk/>

"Boots the Chemist"who have branches all around the UK can order bread
and other GF foods.  Some of our big supermarkets, in particular TESCO
and ASDA, mark a lot of their foods Gluten Free if they are (but NOT all
yet) and many TESCO stores have a small selection of GF goods.  Most big
supermarkets have GF food lists which you can obtain by ordering them a
few days beforehand.  Sainsbury and Asda and many supermarkets have an
allergy handbook which they will make available so you can check for GF
foods.

Tesco's home page is at http://www.tesco.co.uk/index.htm
ASDA's home page is at http://www.asda.co.uk/

*In London, health food stores stock GF foods, including various GF breads.
In a hotel, make quite certain well before you get there that they know
what you're talking about, and are prepared to help.

*There is a chain of resturants in London called Garfunkels that have
several GF items on the menu and they exercised care in preparing my
choices.  They are also in Heathrow ariport and in the vacinity of Victoria
Station.  They have a rotissory chicken with nothing on it that is quite
good.

*I usually have fruit (fresh, frozen, dried or canned) with soya yogurt.

You can also have bacon which should be grilled on its own bit of aluminium
foil to stop cross contamination - or microwaved. Eggs are also good.
Sausages aren't worth the risk. Black pudding should also be treated with
caution as it usually contains barley meal. Beans are sometimes served with
breakfast - some are okay but most aren't. Heinz beans are fine but avoid
other brands.

Many of the larger stores in England (Sainsbury and Safeway) carry soya
yogurt, and the health food chain "Holland and Barrett" also carry a good
range of GF food including breakfast cereal. You will also find small local
healthfood stores in the "yellow pages".   The Boots chain of stores is of
no use as far as GF is concerned.

The larger pub chains are also helpful; one,  Brewer's Fayre has an
excellent allergy list. Most places will do a salad but you have to tell
them exactly what to avoid.  The Little Chef chain is one to avoid.

Cooked meats and burgers often have starch added and that may well be wheat
starch. . Soups may be thickened with wheat flour or corn flour and may
contain barley. It is always best to ask the chef what is suitable. If a
chef has been properly trained, he or she will know what you can and can't
eat.