From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:50:04 EST

New Soup:  Imagine Foods (the makers of Rice Dream) have a gluten-free
(GF) garden vegetable soup.  Because of their experience with Rice
Dream, they are quite aware of what is meant by "GF".  They have nine
varieties (creamy tomato, zesty gazpacho, creamy sweet corn,
no-chicken broth, garden vegetable broth, creamy broccoli, creamy
mushroom, creamy butternut squash, and creamy potato leek soup),
packaged ready-to-eat in vacuum boxes.  They are available at
Meijer's.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Talking to Manufacturers
------------------------
Debbie Gift offers some suggestions when contacting manufacturers:

* Have the product in your hand and use the UPC.  The product may be
  made in different locations or at different times.  The UPC is the
  most accurate way of identifying a product.

* Be specific about the ingredients you are questioning.

* Ask for a food technologist.  He/she will know about all those
  ingredients whose names you cannot pronounce.

* Write detailed questions beforehand.  It is a good idea to keep
  these in a notebook with the answers for future reference.  You
  should also write down the phone number and name of the person you
  spoke with, with the answers.

* Keep labels of products you have used successfully.  Check them
  against the ingredients the next time you buy the product and see if
  anything has changed.

* A good reference book for those hidden ingredients is Dictionary Of
  Food Ingredients, by Robert S.  Igoe and Y.  H.  Hui, ISBN 0412
  07291-2, by Chapman and Hall.

* The American Dietetic Association has a web site at
  <http://www.eatright.org>.  They also have a consumer hotline where
  you can speak to a registered dietitian with specific questions.
  There is a charge of $1.25 for the first minute and $0.95 for each
  additional minute.  The phone number is 900-225-5267.

* You can join the Food Allergy Network; 10400 Eaton Place, Suite 107,
  Fairfax, VA 22030-2208; 703-691-2712 (phone or fax);

* In some cases you may have better luck if your letter appears on the
  letterhead of your doctor or a dietitian.

* Always end your call/contact with a polite "Thank you."  Even if
  they couldn't help, you can say, "I didn't get the information I
  needed, but I am grateful for the effort."  Remember, you catch more
  flies with honey than with vinegar.

* Don't be afraid to call.  The more people that call, the more
  companies will realize the problems celiacs and those with food
  allergies face.

* Use the restaurant card at restaurants.  This makes more people
  aware of the problem; you are helping celiacs everywhere by
  educating one person at a time.  Restaurants buy from the same
  manufacturers that we buy from.  Making them more aware helps make
  manufacturers more aware.