From:
Pilgrim South <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pilgrim South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:27:54 -0600

Dear Friends,

First of all, thanks for all the e-mails! I got tons about vinegar and I
received many on cleaning supplies.

Everyone and I mean everyone said there was not a gluten issue with vinegar
(any type, even grain) that the distilling process removed that issue.

Second, most vinegars that are grain are corn but not all.

Third, several said that even though vinegar may not have a gluten issue
they still react to it (even the smell) and therefore can't use
it.  Actually, our 27 year old daughter gets a head ache from vinegar.  I
think its tied in with candida/yeast issues and many have found (like our
daughter) relief with live digestive enzymes.

Cleaning Supplies:

Several suggested the book Clean and Green by Annie Berthold-Bond and it is
great!!! Not very large (so not to overwhelm any) and very informative. She
tells what is wrong with normal commercial items and then tells you what to
use naturally and then what to buy at natural food stores and even where to
order things if they aren't available at the natural food stores.

Most use vinegar and water a lot for windows and other cleaning. Some use
Borax and washing soda (helps disinfect).  Most mix there own. And I have
gained oodles of recipes from some of you, off the internet and thru the
book above.

Caution:  I tried the home made laundry soap that I located
http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/articles/detergent.html with using
Borax/Washing Soda (not to be confused with baking soda) and a bar of Dr.
Bronner's Castile soap (lemon) http://www.drbronner.com/.  It gave me a
terrible headache. The bar is scented with essential oils but apparently my
body doesn't like essential oils so I will try it with non scented soap
like Ivory instead. Dr. Bronner's is supposed to be all natural but for me
it naturally doesn't work.  All natural doesn't necessarily mean "all good
for you". :)

Anyway, there are so many alternative to cleaning products that I can't
possibly list them all here. There are many web sites here are a few that I
found helpful.
http://www.care2.com/channels/lifestyle/home (this is a particularly good one)
http://www.iconacraft.com/ModernWife/hulda-clean.html (sort of different
but many interesting things)
http://www.geocities.com/brendamcs/Non-Toxic_Alter.html
http://www.sociallyresponsible.com/home.htm#Cleaning%20Products
http://pub73.ezboard.com/bthefrugalshopper
http://herbalmusings.com/cleanbookinfo.htm

There are also many good books but that little one I mentioned above is a
very good one!! Hope this info helps!  Pilgrim South

Visit our families web site at: http://members.aol.com/SowersSeed