From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:36:26 -0600

In case anyone is still in need of a good/quick recipe for the holidays,
this one worked very well.  It is adapted from a recipe in November 2002
Cooking Light magazine.  It is very tasty and easy to make.  I prepared
everything but the wet ingredients the night before then put the rest
together in the morning.  Quite a treat as we were running off to school/work.

Enjoy!  Happy holidays to all.
Sue in ND

Gluten Free Cranberry Scones (best served right after baking while still warm)

1 3/4 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup halved fresh cranberries
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
Powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 375 deg
2.  Prepare cooking sheet by spraying with cooking spray
3.  Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
Combine flour and the next 6 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl;
cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles
coarse meal.  Add cranberries, tossing to coat.

4.  Combine buttermilk, rind, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just
until moist (dough will be very sticky).
5.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 5
times with floured hands.(The gluten free dough is very sticky so be sure
you have your hands well floured)  Pat dough into a 7-inch circle on a
baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Cut the dough into 10 wedges,
cutting into but not completely through dough.
6.  Bake at 375 deg for 30 minutes or until golden.
7.  Sift powdered sugar over scones, serve warm.

Approximately 168 calories per serving.