Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:28:03 -0400

Wow...such responses....well over 50!   I want to thank  everyone.  I tried
to respond to each and every one, but if I didn't get  back with you, I am
sorry.   I was overwhelmed.  Then I needed to  break down the answers.  So
here goes nothing!!

A resounding YES to the question:  Are support groups dwindling?

The following are some reasons why:   Answers are from both group  leaders
and attendees.
The Leaders are burned out.
Easier to find foods now thanks to the manufacturers.
Poor Attendance, even with speakers
People come for resources, never to be seen again
After a few years, comfortable with diet and don't need support group
Gas prices
Unemployment
Family busy with kids activities in evening
Tight schedules
Summer is a bad time
Dislike the leader...narrow minded...so refuses to touch on important
subjects
Some just don't want to deal with the diet...perhaps diagnosed without
symptoms
Don't like agenda:  Some want only health info or cooking classes or
social hour and others don't.
Seating arrangement in rows like a lecture room.  Rather have tables  and
interact with others.
People are using the internet, cell phones, or facebook more.    (how do we
know they are getting the correct information this way??)

Suggestions that were given:
Contact newspaper and get the word out again about the group.
Use Survey Monkey and ask members of group to take the survey  anonymously.
Drop regular meetings and do only dining out every 2 months
Do only email support
Do Facebook or blogs
Change from educational to a social GF party or pot luck.
Transfer leadership
Retire.

Leader Complaints:  Some never bring GF goodies to share, but are  there to
eat it, leave early so they don't have to clean up.  Others never
volunteer.  These really do put an extra burden on the leaders.   Everyone is gone
and we have so much to take out to the vehicle after  dark.  We have to clean
up their messes many times and put things back  where they belong.   No one
wants to help with meetings, take them  over, or be a substitute when
needed.

It is difficult being in a small city with limited resources.  Having  the
same speaker at least 3 times over ten years kind of makes it boring for the
 older ones, but what else can we do?

Lastly:  helping even one person is worth it.

I might also add a personal note:  I also notice that the phone calls  from
the newly diagnosed have dwindled also.   My support group is  well known
around here, but people are now more internet oriented and no one  does
face-to-face anymore.   Just lets hope the information they are  finding on the
internet is correct and not out of date or just plain  wrong.

I have attendance for every meeting I ever had over 10 years and compared
attendance to whether I had a speaker or samples that night.   From  2005
through 2008 were the busiest years, and starting in 2009, it became
noticeable with a slow but steady rate of decline.   We were a very  active group
with about 12 radio shows that we did, 4 years at a county fair, 8  years of
celiac walks, 5 years of picnics and Christmas dinners.   And  who organized
98% of it???   ME!    Maybe I am the one  burned out now.    A decision
still needs to be made, but I am  giving myself until the end of December to
decide.  Meanwhile, I think I  will take one person's advice and do the Survey
Monkey with my group and see if  there is anything there that might come to
light if they know it is an anonymous  survey.

Again, thanks to all who emailed me.  It was much appreciated and  quite
interesting.

Bev Messner
Richland County Celiac Support Group
Mansfield, OH