From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:16:10 -0600

I prefer cooking with whole rain rice. I found red rice at my local oriental grocery
and really like it better than brown rice. It has starch similar to jasmine rice and
doesn't get hard when cold, making it nice for salads. It also works well boiled,
rather than steamed, shortening cooking time & losing starch. (Rise to clean, soak if
you have time.  Add to lots of water; when tender, strain through colander.)  I
haven't tried boiling brown rice, but intent to as I have trouble getting it cooked
without over-cooking.

I saute onions and garlic together with olive oil, than remove from pan.Add small
chunks of ham or spam and lighty brown meat. In a small pan scramble 2 eggs till
firm.Than put it all together in a large frying pan. Shred some carrots over it and
some chopped green onions.and salt and pepper. Add soy sauce and heat all together.
Instead of ham you can use some small cooked shrimp which you would put in at the
end.
My family loves this which goes well with any kind of fish.

My favorite rice-dish is variation on the soy sauce rice. I cook brown rice (any
other rice would be fine. After it is finished I add thinly sliced green
onion/scallions, toasted sesame seeds and GF soy sauce. You can adjust the amount of
everything to your taste, I like lots of onions and sesame in mine.

I fry (in EV Olive Oil or mix of EVOO and sesame oil), all sorts of meats and veggies
and top the rice with this, or stir it into rice after it is cooked:

ground beef, beef strips, chicken strips or chunks, pepperoni, turkey strips or
chunks, pork strips or chunks, ground pork sausage....

To any one or combo of the above, I add a combo of any of the following, in this
order (in other words, add according to the time it takes for veggies to cook):
sliced onion, minced garlic, cabbage slices, sliced carrots, broccoli or cauliflower
florets, green or red sweet or hot pepper slices, sliced zucchini, chopped
tomato.....

Season with salt and pepper as you go.  The last minute of cooking, add spices:
basil, oregano, italian seasoning, ginger, nutmeg, chives......  and/or sauces:
soy sauces, teriyaki, ginger sauce.....

You can experiment and make literally any combo you can think up.  One of my fav,
very easy combos is just:

brown 1 large breast of chicken cut in chunks in EVOO; after browned well, add,
stirring well to coat with oil, 1 med to lg onion chunks, and cook about 1-2 mins;
add and stir to coat with oil, 1 sliced lg green pepper, cook about 5 mins; add
stirring in to coat with oil, 2 roma tomatoes cut in chunks and fresh (about 1/2 cup)
or dried (1 to 2 teasp) basil, cook about 1-2 mins.
Stir frequently and s+p as you go.  You may cover this to speed cooking, but stir
frequently.

I spoon this (and esp like enough drippings--ie olive oil--to add a little of a
sauce) over the rice.  My husband then adds soy sauce to his, but I like mine plain
or with ginger sauce.  This cooks in less than 15 mins.  All the work is in the
cutting and so my hubby (hint, hint!  ;)  ) helps.  All told, it is a 30 to 40 min
meal.  You do not need to add anything to this meal to make it satisfying.

Want something a tad different?  Add a sliced zucchini a min. before the tomatoes and
add salted roasted peanuts after finished cooking.  Remember to cut down on the soy
if you use it on this, the peanuts add alot of salt.  Still a 30 to 40 min meal.

An EXTREMELY!!! easy, fast recipe I make using rice is:
To day old cooked rice (can be fresh but I make rice by the vat.)  ;)  Add:
2 or 3 roma tomatoes, cut in chucks
1/2 cup cut fresh or 2 teasp dried basil, s+ p Stir this all together with a teasp of
EVOO.  Microwave till hot.  Stir.

The same concoction can be made into a rice salad minus the EVOO with cold rice or
slightly warmed rice.  Then, do not cook the tomatoes and basil, just stir them into
the rice.  Put this on lettuce with an ice cream scoop, and sprinkle with a little
oil and vinegar (esp balsamic).

I also make rice using orange juice or combo of orange, pineapple, and/or lemon and
then add a handful of fresh basil or spear mint or chocolate mint (a plant that
tastes like peppermint patty) at the end with some roasted pine nuts or pecans.  Like
savory tastes better?  Try adding rosemary instead of mint or basil.  Experiment with
spices like fresh grated nutmeg and ginger on that, too.   (Yes, I am mad for basil!
I grow it year round and love it fresh in everything from tomato sauce to salads.
And I grow all sorts of other herbs too)

I also make rice with a combo of pineapple and/or chicken broth, adding well drained
pineapple tidbits and 2/3 to 1 cup frozen peas or veggie mix about 3 to 5 mins before
finished cooking (according to the needs of the veggie used).  If you add frozen
veggies, be sure to subtract about a half cup of liquid initially.  You have to get
savvy with how much liquid to use.  Better on that account to use too little liquid
than too much, you can always add liquid and give it a stir if rice is undercooked.

Another combo I like is apple juice and cumin added to onion and chicken browned in
evoo--always stir cumin into some oil in the pan to cook, tho, don't just sprinkle
on.

Choose to cook in:
fruit juices like orange, pineapple, lemon, lime, apple, bottled juice combos....;
beef, chicken, or veggie broth......

add accordingly to how long they need to cook:
cut up small fruits or veggies of almost any type you like

season with:
spices like ginger, nutmeg, cumin; if you are adventurous even cloves or cinnamon...

Add a minute or so before done:
herbs like basil, rosemary, mints, oregano, italian seasoning, fines herbes blend...
sauces like ginger or soy or teriyaki sauce....

last, when finished cooking add:
roasted pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds....

You need to experiment with tastes you like.  Or think of recipes you have seen in
restaurants that you like or browse recipes for combos.  You can take any combo from
any recipe and work it with rice.  By combos, I mean, the combo of the liquid you
use, the veggies or fruits, and the spices, herbs.  For instance...  pork and
rosemary and orange juice  or  tomatoes and basil and chicken   These are 2 simple
taste combos.  But there are dozens of these well-known, often used combos in cooking
and you can use most any of them for cooking with rice.

                         -

*******
*******