From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 16:06:12 -0500

Henry W Nickel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Kellogg's has a new NutraGrain cereal....Their new, unsweetened,
>Almond Raisin variety indicates no problem with the ingredients
>(whole grain brown rice, whole grain corn, almonds, glycerine,
>maltidextrin, calcium phosphate, salt, and trisodium phosphate)

There is one ingredient that could be a problem:  maltodextrin.  I've
selected portions of two previous postings to illustrate the potential
problem with maltodextrin:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 1994 21:21:45 GMT
From:         William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>

(4)  The Canadian Celiac Assoc agrees with you on Maltodextrin "a
hydrolyzed carbohydrate made from corn starch" (from their Pocket
Dictionary).

     However the American Celiac Society, Additives Alert, page 1
disagrees:  "Maltodextrins.  From FDA 11/2/1988 The Merck Index, 10th
edition, states that Maltose Dextrin is maltose and dextrins obtained
by enzymic action of ***barley malt*** or corn flour.  Spray dried
hydrolyzed carbohydrates made from corn starch.  In its natural state,
corn starch is not soluble in water.  Maltrin Grain Processing of
Miscantine, IA using milk conversion techniques produces a full range
of starch hydrolyzates from which the dextrins are made.  The FDA has
not defined a standard of identity for this product and should be
avoided unless you know how it was manufactured."

The above paragraph also made me concerned about whether there was
casein residue in the maltodextrin, although I have not done any
research to verify this.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 1995 06:47:06 -0400
From:         Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>

The FDA definition goes back to 1963 and has not been updated.  The
FDA and many companies report that Maltodextrin is corn.  The food
industry definition is that it can be made from any carbohydrate.

I have documented brands that are made from corn and tapioca.  This
proves that the FDA is wrong and that wheat could be used as a source.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Henry also wrote:

>I believe Kellogg's....will no longer take a GF stand
>with any of their products under present production procedures.

Well, that's not entirely true.  We received a letter from Kellogg's
dated July 12, 1995, which states:  "We produce two cereals which are
formulated wheat-free and gluten-free--KELLOGG'S CORN POPS and KELLOGG'S
Puffed Rice cereals."  The puffed rice cereals are normally sold only as
a food service item to hospitals, universities, etc., but can be ordered
by mail from Kellogg's.  The letter was signed by Taffney A. Brashers,
Consumer Affairs Dept.  Contact information:

   Kellogg Company
   Corporate Headquarters
   One Kellogg Square
   PO Box 3599
   Battle Creek, MI  49016-3599
   (616) 961-2000
   (800) 962-1413 (for mail order forms & updated mail order prices)

Henry may be right about Kellogg's hesitancy to classify any other
cereals as GF.  I believe the two cereals they've listed as GF have
their own dedicated equipment, whereas the Temptation cereals are made
with equipment that also makes gluten-containing products.  (Their
letter did not state this; I heard it from someone who called them.)

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA