From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:14:08 -0400

Nothing like a simple question to (unintentionally) stir up a debate. The
replies also brought up 2 additional issues: The question of gluten being
present in beef from grain-fed cows and the question of gluten being passed
to infants who are breast-fed by gluten eating mothers.

I received several replies. Concerning the question of gluten in cows milk,
no one cited any scientific studies or research. Some people indicated that
they were suspicious that gluten COULD be passed through cows milk, but
others stated categorically that it COULDN'T.

I looked in the archives on this. This question has occasionally come up for
about 4 years. The only "expert" opinion that I could find was from a
Norwegian doctor (Oct. 95) who stated that he didn't know and that more
research was needed. Here is his name and address (as of 1995).

    >K. Reichelt
    >Pediatric Research Institute
    >N-0027 Oslo, Norway
    >Tel: +47 22 86 90 45
    >Fax: +47 22 86 91 17
    >E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Regarding mothers passing gluten on to breast-fed babies. Several people
indicated that this DOES occur, whether there is research to support this or
not. I do not know if this is for ALL mothers, or what.

I DO know that the digestive processes are quite different for humans (1
stomach, of varying sizes) and cows (4 stomachs). Whether this affects this
question or not, I don't know.

Carl