From:
"Karen H. Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen H. Shirley
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:07:16 -0700

Sorry for the earlier garbled version - sent it from my blackberry. Hope it works this time.

So I got more folks saying they also would like answers than answers, so I looked up some on the internet.  I do summarize below what emails I did get.

I found a lot of good information at this site: lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/flaxinfo_2.htm
It stated if the flax starts to taste bitter, throw it out. And that ground flax should be used, even if in the fridge, within a few weeks!

Other sites on the web (I searched ground flax seed storage) seem to indicate that it will go bad in one to two weeks if not refrigerated and from a few weeks to a few months when in the fridge.  Whole seeds will last up to a year in the freezer.

Folks who responded indicated two main things:
(1) they store the ground flax in the freezer not fridge and commented it should be good that way for several months to a year
(2) They buy whole seeds and grind as needed as seeds are good for very long time

One person said she got gluten like reaction to flax and threw it out. She said she thought this was common.

One person, quite wisely, said to read the expiration date on the package (although if storing in fridge or freezer it should probably last longer?)

Also, I hadn't realized that you need to be very careful to drink lots of water when adding flax to your diet and to do so gradually --- this could be where folks got a gluten like reaction! Potent stuff those flax seeds!