From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 18:15:44 -0500

I'm posting this reply to an individual message to the general list as
others may find it useful.

I use Myenberg* brand goat's milk and make the yoghurt myself.   It's
easiest if you use one of the yoghurt maker appliances (Dalton's, etc.)
available in almost any department store, but all you really need  is a
warm place to keep it.    Just heat the milk to a simmer for about 12-15
minutes (to kill off any other bacteria, then cool to about body
temperature or slightly above  (the yoghurt maker appliances come with a
thermometer marked for this),  then add the culture (or a half-cup of the
last batch of yoghurt) as a starter (NOTE:  if you add it BEFORE the
yoghurt has cooled down to the right temperature, it's going to be killed
off!).  Then let it sit in the appliance or just in a warm place for 4-12
hours (depending on whether you want it mild or tart).   Refridgerate when
done.   Save 1/2 cup for starter for the next batch.    Voila!   Goat's
milk yoghurt for 1/4 the price with GUARANTEED no additives!

For starter for the first batch I highly recommend  "Yogourmet"  yogurt
starter as it has Lactobillicus Bulgaricus and Thermophilus as well as
Acidopholus  (much better than merely acidopholus as most of the commercial
yoghurts have).   It or it's equivalent should be available at any health
food store.

*Myenberg does NOT feed any grains to its goats.   Available as powdered
goat's milk or UHT  (ultra high temperature pasturized)       I prefer
making it with fresh milk but fresh goat's milk is exceedingly difficult to
obtain in the US   (In New Zealand it was in ALL the grocery stores as a
standard item!)

I'm now so fond of it that I carry powdered goat's milk and starter when
camping and make "sleeping bag"  yoghurt   (The temperature inside your
sleeping bag is ideal so after heating and then cooling the water, mix the
mix (put the powders first into the container, quickly dump in all the
water and shake like crazy.   If you do it quickly it mixes quite well.)
Keep the LEAK-PROOF! container in your sleeping bag that nite - Fresh
yoghurt for breakfast.