From:
Robert Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:51:46 -0500

In Laura’s 1 July 2005 summary on hypoglycemia she gave the following quote

“Osteoporosis is a consequence of celiac Disease, CD interferes with
absorption of Calcium.  But eating a high-protein diet also contributes to
osteoporosis”

Recent research by Bess Dawson-Hughs and Susan S. Harris indicates this
commonly held belief about high-protein diets may not be accurate for
elderly adults when the get the proper amount of calcium vitamin D. Their
article can be found at:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/75/4/773

They concluded:

“In conclusion, we identified a positive association between dietary
protein intake and change in total-body and femoral neck BMD in healthy
older men and women supplemented with calcium citrate malate and vitamin
D. We saw no evidence that the type of protein (animal compared with
plant) mattered. The present study suggests that BMD may be improved by
increasing protein intake in many older men and women, as long as they
meet the currently recommended intakes of calcium and vitamin D. Further
research is needed to determine whether a similar association would be
observed in older adults consuming these nutrients from other sources.”

Bob