From:
Megan Garbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Garbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:06:27 +0000

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding enriched rice:

>I'm wondering if anyone has information regarding the "enriching process".
>I'm curious as to what form the vitamins and minerals are in and how they
>are incorporated into the grain.

This subject has apparently come up before though I think it bears
repeating, so here goes...

Enriched rice is the standard rice sold in American groceries and its safe
to assume its the standard rice used by many non-Asian restaurants.  the
general consensus is that this rice is to be avoided by celiacs. The
enriching process often depends on a vitamin compound that is sprayed onto
the rice. For some absurd reason the full ingredients of this compound are
not required to be listed under the products ingredients though it often
includes BARLEY.

This was the general idea behind most of the replies I recieved though a few
did mention that the vitamin compound can rely on corn or rice as an
alternate. The only problem is that none of this is listed on the bag by
large manufacturers such as S&W. I was told that Uncle Ben's converted rice
is gluten free and says so on the box. other brands that were suggested are
Trader Joe's basmati and jasmine rices, Lungberg and Riceland. Brown rice
should also be safe (I stress 'should') as white rice is enriched to make up
for the vitamins lost in the refining process.

Another point worth mentioning is the lack of essential B Vitamins in
unenriched white rice and the fact that for non-celiacs these vitamins are
often obtained from whole grains or enriched grain products. You may want to
find a safe B Vitamin supplement, if you haven't already.

Again, thanks. You guys saved me from what has been almost three
mysteriously sick weeks. Hopefully somebody else out there can benefit as
well...

Megan in Seattle