From:
Katherine Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katherine Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 18:11:38 -0400

I am going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next couple of weeks, and
have checked the archives but am hoping for some additional assistance with
gluten-free dining experiences in the following cities:

- Boston, MA
- Plymouth, MA
- San Francisco, CA
- Napa, CA
- Monterey/Carmel/Salinas, CA area

We are looking to have some great dining experiences (more than an Outback
or Wendy's) and love wine. If it helps, by husband (who is a gluten-eater!!)
cannot have shellfish.  I am diagnosed with celiac disease and am extremely
sensitive.

Alternatively, if you know of a certain winery that I should not go to because
you know that they add flour to the barrels (I saw a post about this but could
not identify the winery) or for some other reason, that would be wonderful.

Since this is my first post, I thought that I would add a few Chicago
restaurant suggestions:

- I love Fogo de Chao on Erie. There are only 2 menu items that have gluten in
them. The popovers are fabulous, as are the salad bar, the meat and the
mashed potatoes! Wine selection is great.  Adam is one of the managers
there, and is really attentive to gluten-free needs. Feel free to ask if he's
around when you go, and he'll stop by and say hi. He's really friendly and
incredibly nice.

- I also absolutely love Salpicon on Wells. It is unbelievable high-end mexican
food, and I can eat the chips AND the amazing flan (it comes out with a
surprise, and I'm not telling what it is)!! I can always eat most of the things on
the menu (there are typically 4 or 5 items that I cannot eat, and the rest are
fine). Margaritas are perfect as well (and gluten-free). The owner is always
there, as well, and he is extremely responsive.   I can always get a seat here,
too, as opposed to Frontera/Topolobampo, which is so difficult!

- Volo (a wine bar) in Roscoe Village always does a great job of making dishes
that I can eat, even if they are not on the regular menu. They also are very
careful about the cheese plate that I often order, making sure that it comes
out without any contamination.

- Lulas in Logan Square will do many of the items gluten free. I have been for
breakfast, lunch and dinner and have always had wonderful food.

- Sai Cafe (off of Armitage) and Sushi Wabi (Randolph) have both gone out of
their way to prepare nori rolls for me using plain rice, rather than sushi rice,
and to prepare the rolls on a clean surface, to make certain that there is no
cross-contamination. Tastes the same (at least to me) and I am confident
that I won't have a stomach ache later on!

That's it, other than a note about the Chicago Diner. They have a gluten-free
menu, but when I asked how all of the meals were prepared, they could not
guaranty that they were prepared on a separate surface and that there was
no cross-contamination, so I ended up just having a plain salad with oil and
vinegar. It was so disappointing, since the reason I went there was because
of their gluten-free menu!

Thanks so much in advance, and I'll summarize as soon as possible.

Katie