From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:55:22 -0700

I received quite a few great responses to my post about gluten,
depression & the success of low carb diets.  My comments to the responses
are in brackets.

--------------------------

I get it similar, and so does my son. Many doctors refuse to recognize
such a link though. That leads to many patients being misdiagnosed, or
diagnosed much too late......I was diagnosed at 40, 34 years after they
should have caught the real problem, I had been hospitalized with classic
symptoms as a child. They didn't even consider it as a possibility......
At 43 now, I feel better than when I was 20.  My whole story was so
disappointing that I am now in med school to see if I can make a
difference in some of these things.  ~Antony T. Heisler

------------------------

I have suffered severe bouts of depression and last year resorted to
drugs to control it and psychotherapy.  I am better now but sometimes get
overwhelmed with dark thoughts.  Fortunately, I can control them a bit
better without drugs.  I also agree on the Atkins diet thought. I follow
this diet religiously and find I feel and look so much better.  Low carb
eating fits beautifully into our GF diet and so it is easy to follow.  I
think that is a few years as more research is done and more studies are
completed that the Atkins diet will be hailed as the way all Americans
should eat.  Not just because of the gluten issue but because it is a
truly sound diet - when one reads the entire Dr. Atkins' book and diet
plan.  Did you see the ABC broadcast about cancer and acrylamide in
bread, cereals, baked goods and potato chips?  Oh, it is fascinating and
only lends more credence to our type of diet.  If you would like to read
about this study, go to www.abcnews.com  It was broadcast Tuesday night
on the evening news with Peter Jennings.  I cannot remember the articles
title but it is shown with a basket of French fries and French fries is
in the title.  ~EmmaJane

------------------------

I break out like a teenager when I drink milk, probably get brain fog
too.  My father and brother are psychotic rage-aholics and big milk
drinkers. What a mess!  ~Nancy

I agree that gluten or malabsorbtion of nutrients can have neurological
effects over time, but it is difficult for me to associate a particular
reaction with a particular amount of gluten.  I would appreciate any
comments you may have.  Betty, IL [My and my sons' adverse reactions to
even very small amounts of gluten and milk products occurs w/i hours of
ingestion and last for several days.  For us it's like a drug that
causes a "bad trip."  One of my sons actually used to hallucinate before
he went gluten free dairy free.  I wouldn't believe it either, Betty, if
I didn't have personal experience with it!]