Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:01:53 -0500

I received over 60 replies to my whine of yesterday, thank you all very
much. I apologize for my Subway comment which a couple of people found
offensive. Evidently my body found it offensive also, and I paid the
price today. Based on that experience and the advice of over half the
respondents, I intend to stay gluten free and see how I feel in the next
year or so. I have several GF friends, lots of recipes, and the support
of the list, so feel that this is something I can do. We live on a farm,
raise all our vegetables and meat organically, and have access to an
excellent buying club/coop for which I feel very grateful. A minority
(although a large one) felt I should have the biopsy ASAP and get a
conclusive answer. Many people said that they didn't get a positive
result from the blood tests or biopsy (usually felt to be the fault of
inadequately trained pathologists). In spite of negative test results
many had a very good response from staying on the diet. A small group
recommended the enterolab test. Since the diet is the treatment, I
personally feel that spending time, money and risk on the testing is not
necessary for my peace of mind. If I feel better on the diet, that is
enough for me. Several people pointed out the need to be very careful of
possible gluten in medications, both over the counter and prescriptions.
The subject of varying levels of gluten sensitivity was brought up,
helping me realize we can have an adverse reaction to gluten without
being officially celiac. Again, thank you all very much for your advice,
support and personal stories. I hope this is what you expect from a
summary! I will be happy to forward specifics if you email me off the
list.
Leslie, gluten free in Wisconsin
(p.s. One respondent hopefully predicted that Subway would be offering
GF sandwiches soon as more people demanded GF choices! I hope they are
right...)