From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:56:18 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded.  I had checked with my
gastroenterologist and he didn't have any opinion on a specific time
frame of following up with biopsy or blood work and so that is why I
asked all of you!  I got several responses from "don't do anything at
all" to "have both blood work and biopsies done every year or so"

7 people stated to have the anti-gliadin blood tests done.

1 said to have the new stool test done.

3 said to have biopsies done every year or so

2 replied to just have a CBC and "normal" blood work done on a yearly
basis to make sure that the electrolytes, iron, potassium, etc. is doing
OK because if it is then you are absorbing nutrients, which means you
villi are healed.

I had 4 people say that we didn't need to do anything if we are
following a GF diet.

I had a physical already scheduled with my family physician and so
talked to him about all your replies and we decided to do nothing,
except check my yearly labs of CBC, etc, which were fine in November.
He said, which I agree and also had one person state, "what would I do
if the tests showed that I wasn't "totally" healed if I felt I was being
as strict as I could be".

I also should have stated in my original post that I had the
anti-gliadin and anti-emyseal (sp?) tests done originally and they came
back negative, so there is no sense in me having them done again.  I was
only diagnosed by the biopsy that came back positive.

Good luck to everyone if anyone else is dealing with this decision on
what follow up to have.  I feel this is what is best for ME--not doing
anything except my normal blood work once a year--as I am feeling GREAT
and do follow a strict diet (or as strict as we can be with all the
wonderful companies out there that are so wishy-washy about their
products)! :-)

Amy in Iowa