From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 10:46:14 -0400

Dear List,

Freeda--gf, yeast-free and so on--ferrous furmarate (300 g) gives me
diarrhea.  Has anyone else had trouble with iron? Found a solution?

My celiac diagnosis was triggered by anemia. The doc. prescribed the iron,
among other supplements. For more than a year I had no trouble outside of
an initial constipation that cleared up. My ferretin levels became nearly
normal for the first time I can remember. But then diarrhea set in, got
worse and worse and last spring, after pinpointing iron as the culprit, I
stopped taking it. I am  scrupulous about diet and eat dark leafy greens in
huge quantities--several helpings on an average day. Given no antibodies in
the blood and the cessation of all celiac symptoms, I figured I was likely
absorbing enough iron from food sources.

However, a week ago or so I began to suspect I was anemic again and so
restarted the iron. As you probably know, it takes awhile for iron to build
or to deplete in the system, so it was a logical guess that the build-up
achieved by the supplemental iron only recently disappeared.

Unfortunately, the diarrhea began two days after I restarted the iron and
is as bad as any gluten-caused diarrhea I've experienced. Obviously this is
no good.....

help!

Mary B
NYC