From:
Carl Shoolman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Shoolman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:00:35 -0400

As each of us decides constantly whether or not to eat a particular
processed food, we need to be aware that most processed food does contain
undisclosed gluten.

"[Despite...] adhering to a strict gluten-free diet they may in fact be
consuming gluten.  This is because it may be very hard in the U.S. to be on
a strict gluten-free diet [because] gluten is frequently present in
processed food and in food that is prepared out of the home." (1)

While we all once hoped that we would be cured if we followed the diet,
"persistence of some degree of villous atrophy is the rule, not the
exception." (2)

It isn't trivial for a food company to be sure that its product is
completely gluten-free. Faced with complex ingredients from other
companies, contaminated processing lines, an uncertain definition of
"gluten-free" and competitors of suspect transparency, lawyers tell
managers that they risk our lawsuits if they label as "gluten-free" without
being absolutely sure.

It's safer for the processors to say nothing about gluten on the package.
Let the consumer take the risk, not them.

Since corporations easily overpower consumers in Congress, they have been
able to successfully block all gluten labeling legislation.

>"In prior years, food allergen legislation included language regarding
>'gluten'....The food manufacturers...made it known if the language did not
>come out, they would not support the bill.  Without their support, no bill
>could move forward...." (3)

Apparently over 10% of their products have hidden gluten that will not be
disclosed by the federal law they are allowing to pass. (3)

That makes the coming law irrelevant to our daily choices.

Personally, I've found it surprisingly easy and rewarding to simply stop
eating processed foods until we have a way of knowing which of them are
actually safe.

(This doesn't demean the sincere efforts of those consumers who pushed for
the legislation with the deck stacked against them.  Congress is wrong on
this just as it was in allowing oil companies to damage everyone's health
by putting lead in gas and our air.  Next round, we need more consumer clout.)

[Footnotes follow]

Carl Shoolman
ConsumerXchange
www.CX.org
Rochester NY

1. Peter H.R. Green, "Risk of Cancer is Increased in Patients with Celiac
Disease," Reuters Health, 9/19/2003.

2. Susie K. Lee +, "Duodenal histology in patients with celiac disease
after treatment with a gluten-free diet." Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 57:2:
190 (2003).

3. Andrea Levario, Co-Chair, Legislative Project, American Celiac Task
Force. "Task Force Comment on Previous Bills." Celiac/Coeliac
Wheat/Gluten-Free List, 10/7/2003.