From:
Poskarbiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Poskarbiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:11:30 -0400

This information was gathered from those that personally responded to my posting about San Francisco.  Thank you to everyone!  Your help is appreciated.

Christy

Dry Creek Kitchen, next door to Dry Creek Inn, in Healdsburg is pricy (app. $50/person), but oh so good!  It's between Cotati and SF.  Rivoli's on Solano Ave in the Albany/Berkeley area.  Both will need reservations.

Here's a couple of resources for the Bay Area:

http://www.celiacsf.org/

Hope this helps!

I ate at One Market on Market Street and they did a great job for me. My
other meals were at the Fairmont Hotel which surpassed any gf meals I've
ever had from other restaurants. They made me coq au vin, tomato banana soup
and just wonderful things.

>Hi, Look in the listserv's archives, there has been a lot of postings.
When
I went there myself last year, I explored some of the old postings, some had
evaporated.  I found one place myself that was not gluten free per se,  but
had a number of items I could eat.  I have DH and so am pretty sensitive
immediately to ingesting ggluten.  The name of the retaurant was Cafe
Gratitute.  It  has locations in the Sunset area near the arboretum in Golden
Gade park. Their website is www.CafeGratitude.com.  They were vegetarian.
There are innumerable sushi restuarants and Chinese Restuarants.
Communication is the issue.   There was one in Noe Valley (a Chinese
restuarant) that I had heard from the Listserv was very cooperative, but I
did not find it to be so.  Chefs and wait people come and go.  There is a Bay
area Celiac support group but they had no GFRAP or particular restuarants to
offer.  That was a year and a half ago, so things may have changed, look them
up on the web.  They may have been based in Palo Alto. I suppose Outback and
PF Chan restaurants will work, I'm sure they have a nation wide directory.
Good Luck!  Shereen Rosenthal
There are Trader Joe's, Rainbow Grocery and
Whole Foods around

If you're on the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building, I recommend the Ferry
Building itself. It has lots of wonderful shops and restaurants...upper end,
with organic produce, artisan cheese, meats, veggies, etc. Because many of
the dishes are not derived from processed foods, there are more items to
choose from that are GF. The Ferry Building has a web site and you can check
out the individual merchants, menus, etc. I recommend Mistral  if you like
meat -- wonderfully prepared pork, beef, etc. prepared GF. The folks there
were good about pointing out which items were GF and which weren't.

Enjoy the fresh crab and seafood anywhere in the San Francisco area.
It is fantastic.  The crab and shrimp combination louis's are so
good.  Just watch out for the sour dough bread which is served with
every meal.  Any non-celiacs will want to eat it (which is the best)
and the crust crumbs will fly.  Also, many restaurants use sour dough
croutons, so make sure to verify they don't put them on. Sorry, I
can't give you any places in particular, as we just ate where we
wanted and I worked around it.  It is such a beautiful city.  I would
suggest carrying the travel packets of GF soy sauce in your purse in
case you end up in Chinatown or other Asian type restaurants.  You
should see Carmel by the Sea and Monterey if you are driving down the
coast.  Have a great time - I know you will.
PS - there is a large support group in the bay area.  You might
google "celiac support groups california" and get a list of them to
contact for specific restaurant names.