From:
Scott Hagerty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Hagerty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:52:18 -0700

Here is summary of suggestions on gluten-free dehydrated backpacking meals.  Thanks to all that responded.  I did a little detective work and see that one of my favorites has a few meals (Backpackers Pantry).

It appears that the Wilderness Dining and Alpine Aire sites have quite a selection of meals.

Suggest that all of us that are interested in these call/write companies like Backpackers Pantry and Mountain House and recommend they produce more GF meals in the future!

See you on the trail!

Scott

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/pdf/FoodAllergensChart.pdf

Mountain House FAQ -Do you have any gluten free meals?
Currently we do not have any meals we declare as gluten free. For a complete listing of our ingredients please contact [log in to unmask] We are happy to email you this information. If you do not find the answer to your question, please click the contact us button or email us at [log in to unmask] You can also call our customer service department at 1-800-547-0244.
   .

*Alpine Aire (4 responses).    http://www.aa-foods.com/bulk.cfm?sysName=8

*Oatmeal:  http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/glutenfreeda-m-140.html

*Annies Rice Pasta and Chedder GF Mac and Cheese
* http://www.gopicnic.com

* http://www.labriutemeals.com/products.htm

* http://www.celinalfoods.com/

*Instant Thai Rice noodles

*http://www.wildernessdining.com/gl.html

*Some of the Mountain House items do not list gluten in them--they especially liked mashed potatoes and beans.  Packaged chicken breasts, tuna, salmon from the grocery store--Bumble Bee brand.   They were not dehydrated so not as light but they thought they were very tasty.  They also made gluten free energy bars with nuts, peanut butter, honey, raisins etc.

Mix together: Potato flakes, dehydrated veggies (we like Just Veggies, Just Mushrooms, etc.) and GF dry soup mix.  We put the mix together at home and double bag it in ziplocs.  When we're backpacking we boil some water, add some cut-up summer sausage and add the potato/veg mix once the water is hot.  Presto, instant hearty meal.  We generally use onion soup mix, but you can use any dry soup mix and can also use pouches of chicken or tuna to vary the flavor.

buy most of my bulk backpacking food from
survival acres, vitacost.com (great price on Tinkyada pasta), and
mayacamas.com for gf soups, gravies, and pasta sauces.