From:
Beth Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 03:07:12 -0600

I think you hit the nail on the head. This country eats WAY, WAY too much
in the way of carbohydrates (starches, sugars, corn syrup, etc). Their
weight problem is not so much high fat as high carbohydrate, and a little
too much fat - processed fats (natural fats in meats, nuts, olives, etc. is
OK) Why - I just read a Pop Tart label this morning. 410 calories (either
for 1 or 2), only 90 from fat - not too bad right? Well, it had 75 grams of
carbohydrates - 69 of which were sugars. Yikes! The first 5 ingredients
were syrups/corn sugars, etc. I eat pretty much like you - people say, "wow
- so healthy." Then follow with "I couldn't do it. I couldn't give up my
(chocolate)(cake)(ice cream)(fill in almost anything)". But - you are right
- you don't crave those things any longer. I used to crave bread - loved
bagels, thick crust pizza. No longer. Every once in a while I make a pizza
like thing (can't do tomatoes, cheese, green peppers) - it is a change. But
- I like my meat, vegetables, fruit and peanut butter.  They ask how do
I shop? The edges of the grocery stores - this is where the fresh food
items are located. Forget the aisles for the most part.  So good to hear
someone else who has "seen the light". cbh/montana