From:
Amy Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:58:30 EDT

WOW - I have never had 93 e-mails before in my life and they're still coming
in!  Almost everyone was truly sympathetic to my situation and I appreciate
the support so much.  I have called my hostess and she was quite gracious
about the whole thing.  Since there are only going to be 4 people for dinner,
I couldn't very well not eat as some suggested.

I haven't broken this into numbers or statistics but here's a summary of the
email responses I received.

Most said to call the hostess and explain my situation as either a food
intolerance or an allergy (which is how I usually describe it).  Ask about
the menu and ask your hostess not to change what she's serving, However if it
isn't appropriate, ask that she not be offended if you bring something for
yourself.  One person pointed out that a hostess aims to please and would be
disappointed if you couldn't eat or didn't speak up, especially in a small
gathering.  I agree with that as I enjoy entertaining and I cook all the
large meals for my family and I certainly want there to be something for
everyone.

Some people said to eat beforehand and not count on eating there.  In my mind
that would only work in a large BBQ setting.  I'm not emotionally ready to
handle doing something like this.

Many suggested bringing something that I know I could eat - either just for
myself (I'd be uncomfortable doing that) or a dish to share with all - a
potato or gf pasta type salad.  At least this way, even if you couldn't eat
the main course, you wouldn't go hungry.

A couple of people said to use this situation as an opportunity to "spread
the celiac word".  DEFINITELY not for me.  I'm not embarrassed about having
celiac or discussing my situation in the proper setting, however I wouldn't
bring it up to an acquaintance who just innocently invited me to dinner.

Thanks to all of you who wrote to me.  I appreciate the support, it's the
first time I've needed it and it is really nice to know I have somewhere to
go.

Amy