From:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:28:27 -0500

I have had very good luck with Celebrity Cruise Lines.  You must
notify Customer Service in advance of your trip.  The following days
menu will be brought to your table for viewing and making a selection
for the next night.  If you have a special request you must give them
a couple days notice and they will try to accommodate you.  Any time
you need assistance with your food contact one of the assistance
matre 'D's.
Hope this helps,  I have be using this line for about  five years.

I've cruised on Norwegian and Silversea and both were very
accommodating. You simply let them know ahead of time, and the day
you board the ship, you speak to the Maitre'd.  It's a great way to
travel as a celiac person.

I was on 4 cruises this year all with Princess. All cruise lines are
pretty much the same when it comes to food. Most lines are now anyway
owned by Carnival Cruises. There are only differences to the
customers depending on the prize of the cruise. Some cruises are
cheaper and attract more younger people, Princess is usually more
expensive and attracts a more distinguished, way older clientele.

There are several possibilities to eat, either in the more formal
dining room or at one of the buffets. For gf I found it much easier
to eat in the dining room. The waiter is always the same and he knows
your needs and takes care to pre-order the food, one day in advance
(except for breakfast, no pre-order needed). But also the buffets
usually have enough gf choices, and they will on request e.g. warm up
bread. The buffets change every 4 hours, the sandwich and dessert
buffet obviously doesn't work, but then there is a hamburger and hot
dog counter, that makes gf hamburgers and fries. If you decide to eat
in the dining room, tell the Maitr'D about the gluten intolerance. He
will advise the waiter and the waiters are all well trained. The food
is usually ordered one day in advance for gf and one sits always at
the same table. The larger ships have more options, but all personnel
on all ships is very helpful.

  http://www.lovinfromtheoven.tv/home.html#

If you click on "View the Show", there is a review of a cruise line,
and interview with the chef. I, too, have never done this!

I was on Royal Caribbean (Horizon ship) and they were great about my
meals. I talked to the person in charge of meals each day to plan my
meals for the next day.  They even made a loaf of gf bread for me.

My GF friend just came back from a Carnival cruise and she said the
maitre'd sat down with her and planned out her meals for the
following day.  She was so impressed with the food and the service
that she said she'd go on another one in a heartbeat!

I leave this coming Sunday out of Galveston for a Caribbean cruise on
Royal Caribbean.  I called the cruise line and the travel agency that
booked the trip and discussed the fact that I needed a GF diet.  They
said there was no problem whatsoever and everything would be taken
care of.  We've been on this same line before on another cruise and
my meals were perfect down to the dessert.

I have had good luck with any line.  They all have at least 1 gluten
free passenger per trip these days...even the smaller lines  Just
call ahead.  They all have been great.

Since my celiac diagnosis 10+ years ago, I have taken 2 cruises...,
one in the Caribbean. Both of those were with Norwegian Cruise Lines
(NCL). I found plenty of food to eat, but since then have become much
more aware of cross contamination issues so I might not be as
satisfied now as I was then. And, I'm not a picky teenager either,
but I've lived with them!! What I like about NCL is their "freestyle"
dining, which means that you're not given a specific dining time but
can eat when you want. The maitre d' hotel in the dining room was
extremely helpful... I just sought out someone in charge when I first
boarded the ship (before mealtime) to discuss my food issues.
Two more thoughts.... I have heard, and read on this listserv, that
Disney World is very accommodating to the celiac diet so the Disney
Cruise Line might be as well... I just don't know about that one.

Secondly, I am going on a cruise with my mom to the Caribbean in
March '07 on Royal Caribbean. I have just sent a note off, per
instructions on the website, to request gluten free means for a
celiac diet. If you're interested, I can let you know what my
experience is after my return. Let me know if you want me to get back
to you!  Hope my comments help...

  P.S. I just received a response to my email so I will cut and paste
it below...

"Good day,

  I have received your notice regarding gluten-free meals and will
forward it to the ship.  Once on board please meet with the Maitre 'D
to review the menus and address any questions you may have.

The ship does not have a gluten-free menu per se. However, there is a
daily alternative menu that includes plain, roasted beef, chicken,
fish, plain rice and baked potatoes. The ship also bakes it’s own
gluten free breads.

Guests are allowed to bring on board their own supply of dry,
nonperishable food items such as cookies, chips, cracker, energy
bars, etc. You may also bring individual packets of your favorite
salad dressing.

Royal Caribbean International will not receive, store prepare or
serve any meals brought on board by our guests. These meals will be
discarded immediately."

  We have gone on 4 cruises, all leaving from Galveston, TX.  We went
once on Norwegian, once on Carnival, and twice on Royal Caribbean.
My daughter and I have CD.
Based on our experience, I would HIGHLY recommend Royal Caribbean,
for all-around great service, the best food.  They baked me special
bread for each meal--quite tasty.  The head waiter was familiar with
CD meal requirements and advised me which dishes were safe/unsafe.
The food was excellent and I was never hungry on the RC cruises.

Norwegian was okay.  Pretty good service and food.  You are pretty
much on your own and like any restaurant have to ask questions.   No
special bread made.   Never went hungry.

Carnival s*cks.   I will never book on Carnival again.  Lousy
service--I never "saw" our room steward.  The food was no comparison
to the RC or Norwegian.  I went to bed hungry twice...  ended up
ordering room service as my daughter and I were really hungry.    (By
the way, the ship was "broke".  It felt like a jalopy with a flat
tire all the way to Mexico and all the way back.  It was a 7-day
cruise and didn't even stop at Cozumel (the main stop for me) because
it couldn't back out of the port....so they refunded each of us a
whopping $25 for missing 1/3 of our port stops.  Never again.

My daughter recently sent on a Carnival Cruise and was accommodated
well. Call the cruise line in advance and ask for their help and then
the maitre 'd or someone will help with each meal.   She was very
pleased.   Things she wouldn't have been able to eat otherwise they
made special for her using cornstarch or whatever substitute  they
had available.  Hope this helps.

Holland America advertises in their brochure that they accommodate
the gf diet.  Every night they have something plain grilled on menu.

Margie R
In South Central PA...on the Mason Dixon Line

*******
*******