From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:08:12 -0700

I received the following from TCBY Treats (The Country's Best Yogurt):

The ingredient statements of many of our products have been reviewed by an
independent nutrition consultant.  Of these flavors, only four contain wheat
flour based ingredients: Chocolate Malt, Cookies 'N'  Creme, Banana Pudding,
and Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  These flavors could have trace
amounts of gliadin, the component of gluten that is responsible for the
reaction in Celiac Disease or gluten enteropathy, even a small amount may be
too much.

In reviewing diet recommendations for Celiac Disease some references caution
against most commercial ice creams because of the lack of specific
information on the nature of the stabilizers used in these products or
because the stabilizers are made from gluten-containing substances.

The stabilizers used in TCBY products are locust bean gum, guar gum, and
carrageenan.  Our independent analyst has concluded that there is no
indication that these contain gluten.  Locust bean gum is derived from carob
bean; guar gum and carrageenan are derived from algae.

It is our hope that you will take this information to your physician and/ or
dietitian for their review and recommendation.

A list of the flavors reviewed and considered acceptable for consumption by
those sensitive to gliadin is on this page for your reference.

96% Fat-Free:
Blueberry Cheesecake
Cheesecake
Chocolate