Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 11:03:33 -0500

Dear Chris,

I cannot help but  reply to your letter. I am the mother of triplets, who
were premature, failure to thrive, and developmentally delayed (now with a
diagnosis of autism). They were also unable to tolerate dairy or soy. They
are now 7 going onto 8.

You did not specify if the egg (yolk) you were adding to your son's bottle
was cooked.This concerned me, as egg white contains a protein, avidin, which
binds biotin almost irreversibly. A child of 14 mos. with a malabsorption
issue may not be able to tolerate the slightest amount (such as what is left
on the yolk when separated). Perhaps your physician could check for biotin
deficiency...

On a more practical note, this is what I remember doing for our triplets. I
boiled chicken in water, until fully cooked. I then pureed the chicken and
broth and added Beechnut Baby rice cereal to thicken it to a thick 'gravy'
consistency. I found a 'syringe' style bottle, (I don't remember the name,
but the company was First Years), filled it with the concoction, and fed the
triplets. They could hold the bottles, and when they could crawl and walk
around, they carried it with them. Eventually, I was able to add in more
nutrients, based on clinical testing and evaluations of our children, that
were necessary. We are still working with the delays, but our children are
all in the 'large for their age' catagory.

Hope this helps,

Beth Crowell