From:
Deb Beausoleil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:05:11 EST

I have to agree that the gluten-free diet is an awful diet.  I have been
strictly following this diet for over 2 years and although I'm much better at
knowing what foods to avoid and how to read the micro-print ingredient lists,
I still get very frustrated with it all.  Just yesterday, someone asked me if
I ever "cheat" on the diet and I responded with a very fast "NO!".  To me,
it's just not worth the agony that I would endure just to taste or eat
something that is loaded with gluten.  In reading the posts to the list,
someone wrote "nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels" or something to
that effect....I agree!

It just frustrates me that sometimes no matter how careful I am about what I'm
eating, whether it's here at home, at a friend's/relative's house, at a
restaurant, I could still get some sort of gluten reaction.  Which is why we
don't eat in restaurants very often at all anymore....too dangerous for me.
And now in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to be moving to another state and will
soon have to deal with the new grocery stores with their generic brands or the
name brands that are no longer available to me and new restaurants and
watching over shoulders when I'm invited out to eat, etc. etc. etc.  Horrors.
If I can survive the first month without getting a terrible gluten reaction
(or even a mild reaction) I'll be surprised.

Trouble is, I still remember how goooood some foods used to taste (foods with
gluten)....and it's still difficult to watch someone else eating it.  At least
I'm able to curb the temptation to snatch the food out of their hands and
throw it to the floor and stomp all over it.  <g>  The only good thing about
this diet is that I feel 100% again and not constantly sick, etc....it makes
the diet worth being on when you feel good as a result.  But it IS still a
frustration to me and probably always will be.

Deb