From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:10:20 -0500

A few weeks ago I asked for people to email me with the
drugs that they know to contain gluten, or strongly
believe *DO* contain gluten. Here are the responses,
listed by drug name, and my comments in **-** below each.

Effexor:

“I posted about this on July 21, 2005. I got a couple of
was just giving me a CYA statement, but I stand by my
conclusion that Effexor is not gluten free. After posting
my message (quote copied below) and going off the Effexor,
all of my stomach symptoms disappeared, as well as my DH.”

Original post: “I called about the Effexor, which is made
by Wyeth Medical Group. (Call the quality department
before 5:00pm EST, 1-800-999-9384 option 1.) When I asked
her about the Effexor she said that she had a statement to
read to me. I didn't copy it down word-for-word, but she
said that they do not! add gluten to the product, but
there may be trace amounts of gluten in the raw materials,
and patients are strongly encouraged to talk to their
doctor about it. She said this holds true for ALL forms
and strengths of Effexor. She then proceeded to take down
a brief medical history so that she could make a report
about my situation. This, to me, with the DH evidence is a
clear confirmation that Effexor is not gluten-free.
However, I have included as much information as possible
here so you can make your own decisions.”

**Out of curiosity I looked up Effexor on the GFmedlist,
resources listed in separate post, and it is there,
“Effexor, Effexor XR Tabs, caps Wyeth-Ayerst
(800-934-5556)”**

Aggrenox:

Made by Boehringer-Ingelheim.

“In May, my husband had a mini-stroke and the doctors
insisted that he take aggrenox until they could figure out
the reason for the stroke. I contacted
Boehringer-Ingelheim and in a 24 hour period got three
different answers regarding the status. The final answer
was that they do not know what is in their filler
ingredients and it changes from batch to batch, so they
have no idea whether it is gluten free or not.”

**Out of curiosity I looked up Aggrenox on the GFmedlist,
resources listed in separate post, and it is there,
“Aggrenox, Boehringer Ingelheim”**

Flonase and Rhinocort:

One poster wrote me claiming to react to both Flonase and
Rhinocort, stating that “both of which are ‘unknown
status’ for gluten (both companies say that they cannot
control for the ingredients which they purchase from
various suppliers, and won't test them.”

**Out of curiosity I looked up Flonase and Rhinocort on
the GFmedlist, resources listed in separate post, and they
were both there, with Rhinocort listed as such "Rhinocort
Inhaler (not aqua inhaler) Astra Zenaca (800-236-9933)"**

Glipizide:

“My pharmacy has been trying for almost a month to get an
answer from the drug company's about the diabetes drug
Glipizide 2.5 mg. with no results.”

** Out of curiosity I looked up Glipizide on the
GFmedlist, resources listed in separate post, and it is
there, “Glipizide (Novapharm)”.**

Milk of Magnesia:

A recent post: “Called Bayer Healthcare today re: GF
status of Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Got the standard
reply of ‘we don't add gluten but the ingredients may have
been contaminated.’ The ingredients sound okay.

** Out of curiosity I looked up Milk of Magnesia on the
GFmedlist and found “Milk of Magnesia Reg, mint (10/03)
Walgreens”. I also found it in the “Guide thru the
medicine cabinet” – the Cascara suspension, concentrate
24% suspension, and USP 8% suspension (all Pharmaceutical
Associates, Inc.) are all gluten and lactose free.**

Seems as though our recent poster who wrote in "avoiding
gluten in medications is simple" is not that far off base.

Megan Tichy