From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:28:34 -0600

Thanks to the many people who responded to my request for Nashville
restaurants. I can't give any reviews because I lacked the courage to try
anything. I have DH and am, after 7 years, still super-sensitive to trace
contamination. Indeed, a DH outbreak corresponds with a huge increase in my
mental stress so I'm gun-shy. I snacked on Whole Foods offerings including
smoked trout, almonds, raisins, Applegate Farms salami and apples most of
the time, augmented by LARA bars.

If I go back, I might try Solo Mio since I was told their people were
trained by the local support group!

Find summary below!

Thanks again!

Kit in St. Louis

1.     The Pancake Pantry on 21st Ave has wonderful Gluten Free Pancakes.
They are not on the menu but if you tell the waitress, they will prepare
them for you. There is also a Mexican Restaurant in the Gulch Area, Cantina
Laredo, that has a gluten free menu. It is along the lines of gormet mexican
and is delicious. I don't remember the name of the street for this one but
it is in the downtown area.

2.     Matteo's is a pizza place in Franklin (or Brentwood), which is just
south of Nashville.   They offer gluten-free pizza - it's the best!

3.      We have many gluten free options...

All the usual chains - PF Chaings, PeiWei, Outback, Carrabas. OCharley's,
Chilis , Red Robin, 5 guys, etc.

 For great mexican you can try Cantina Laredo in the Gulch, Germantown Cafe
can make several dishes gluten free. There is a wonderful place for
muffins(yes they are delicious)  and coffee - also in Germantown called
Drinkhaus. Anatolias (turkish) can also do gluten free.

 As for groceries, we have whole foods, trader joe's and the Kroger store in
Belle MEade has many gluten free groceries. Hope this helps - let me know if
you need more info.

4.We have several chains that have GF menus- PF Changs, Carrabas, Outback,
Maggiano, etc.  There is a take- out pizza place in Cool Springs- Matteos-
that has GF pizza.  I have heard that Tayst has GF options and Pancake
Pantry (near Vanderbilt) have GF options, too, but I have not tried these. I
have found most places are pretty good at working with you.

5. Yes, there is a Whole Foods. There are 2 pizza places...Garlic Jim's &
Matteo's. They have chains...Maggiano's, Outback, Fleming's, Bone Fish,
Carraba's. They also have Trader Joe's.

 6.

Depending on where you are in town:

West Nashville: Maggiano's Italian (West End Ave.) keeps gluten free pasta
in the kitchen. Chef will come and talk to you about your needs

Southwest Nashville: Fiddle Cakes (8th Ave. S or Rosa Parks) Cafe and
bakery. They keep some gluten free things always ready. Sometimes good to
call ahead so they can have things ready.

East Nashville: Margo's (Five Points) talk with server and chef to adapt.
Great food.

Las Palmas - (all over town) my daughter has multiple food allergies and is
vegetarian but if she gets refried beans, rice, guacamole and corn tortillas
she is always fine

PF Chang's (West End and Cool Springs) gluten free menu

Grillfish - (Cool Springs) gluten free menu

Nero's Cactus Canyon (Green Hills) - server and chef adapted several items
on menu

Baja Fresh (West End/Green Hills) - will prepare things with corn tortillas
if you request and doublechek when food ready

Turnip Truck (East Nashville - Five Points) - grocery with gluten free
items; usually not "prepared" though in case you can cook where you're
staying

Germantown Cafe (North Nashville) - Call ahead and talk to chef

Demos - (Downtown - Commerce) can request changes but if really busy your
request may get buried in the shuffle

7. We have several chains that have GF menus- PF Changs, Carrabas, Outback,