From:
Nehemiah Trustees Covenant Fund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 23:46:33 +0200

Dear, dear people,

Since so many questions have somehow made their way to my box concerning
Passover, please allow me to address the entire list about it. I hope
there are no misunderstandings here and I hope no one takes me for being
too rude.

IN NO WAY, IS THE CONVENTIONAL MATZA YOU WOULD BUY IN A STORE GF. NO WAY.
Matza is made from wheat flour and water!!!!! Please, for the sake of all
your intestines, stay away from it. If any of you are religiously
observant, I have it on the authority of a Habbad Rabbi that if there are
medical reasons restricting the observance of religious practice, the
religious practices concerning those food items are not binding on that
individual. A pregnant woman, for example, would not be permitted to fast
on Yom Kippur and a celiac is exempt from eating matza (made in the
conventional way) on Passover.

The so-called Gluten Intollerance Group in Israel has concocted a matza
that will have to make due. My 6 year old son looks forward to eating
this, tho I have to make plenty as it goes fast.

Here goes:

1c. GF flour mix (without leavening added) [Leavening is baking powder,
baking soda, yeast, etc.]
3 tsp. water
1 egg
pinch salt.
Mix ingredients well to get uniform "dough". Add water if necessary. GF
flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a thinnish leaf. Cut
it into squares, peirce with a fork, etc. to make it look like the matzot
we knew and loved and put it straight on the rack of your oven (I use a
toaster oven). Bake on high heat (around 440 deg) until it just starts to
turn brown.

The idea behind any matza is that it be baked within 18 minutes of adding
liquid to the flour, and quickly at high heat.

These are fairly durable and can take sandwich spreads. I haven't tried
using them as layers in Passover cakes. I will try this year.

Did I properly address the issue? Do any others of you have experiences to
share? Please...

Happy holiday (in 2 months),

Sharon Marcus