From:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:19:58 -0500

Hi all,
Below, I have listed the messages I received. I also had a luscious meal at
the following restuarants:
Avanzarre, in the Hyatt near peachtree center, Nava in Buckhead. these were
meals with a group of colleagues so I called these restaurants in advance
and spoke with either the manager or chef. At Nava the chef came out and
took my order. They were both quite expensive resturants though (someone
else was paying for the entire group so...) BUt I had wonderful food and no
problems. I also picked up lunch one day at the subway shop in peachtree
center. They have a gf list online and you can get a nice salad with GF
lunchmeats and salad dressing. (Just ask the staffperson to change his/her
gloves before making your salad.)

I live in Roswell, a suburb of Atlanta and have lived in the Atlanta metro
area all my life. I have been diagnosed with Celiac for 3-4 years, so do
not have a long experience locating GF friendly restaurants. Maybe the
following will be of some help to you.

Have eaten at Lonbardi's Restaurant, 94 Upper Pryor St., SW. This is 1-2
miles south of your hotel and would be best reached by cab. You will have
to be carefull to describe your diet, but it worked well for me.

Several local chain restaurants where you can find gf food are: Red
Lobster- grilled shrimp, or fish (in lemon butter only), Ranch salad
dressing o.k.-no crutons. Outback or Longhorn Steakhouses are good with
steak, Salmon, again grilled in butter only. Of course, order carefully.
The problem is that I'm not sure how close any of these are to your hotel.

There are many fine restaurants in the downtown area, Pleasantpheasant,
Mick's, Dailey's (this is probably the closet one to your hotel), just to
mention a few. At any of these you will be able to find food to meet your
gf diet, the secret is to talk to your server, talk to the chef or
whatever, and they will work it out is my experience. This would include
the restaurants in you hotel. We have done some traveling to Europe and in
the USA ; as well as dining in the Atlanta area, and have been

Go to the Outback Steakhouse web site and at the bottom of the page on
the right is a gluten free menu and also a location map. I have eaten at
Outback Steakhouses all over this country with no adverse effects from the
gluten free menu. I take a copy of the menu with me - and ask to see the
manager ----the servers are not really trained on this menu.

stayed at the Hilton at Peachtree Center last year for a conference and
went to a nice Chinese Restaurant within a block of it that made all our
food with no soy sauce, and found gf ways to do special items for us. I'm
sorry to say I didn't write down the name of it, but the hotel recommended
it. It was a nice sit down place, and I want to say it was on the corner at
an intersection that the Hilton had a corner on... but I could be wrong

The Atlanta support group might be of some help to you...
Atlanta - Support Group
Contact 1: Bernie Mercer
The Gluten-Sensitive Support Group
Tel: (404) 728-1508