From:
Carolyn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:51:47 -0400

Iceland has lots of things to do for all interest.  We decided on the 4x4
or Super Jeep tours, booked through Nordic Visitor, as we did not want to
drive the roads during the winter.  Also the 4x4 or super jeep took us
places we could not travel to on our own or a bus and it was great.

Made several copies of Icelandic gluten free card from
www.CeliacTravel.com<http://www.celiactravel.com/>that came in very
handy.
Everyone spoke English but perhaps could not read it.  I took peanut butter
and crackers and brought most of it back with me.  Also took lots of Lara
Bars to supplement lunches while traveling on tours.

We found the spelling of some streets very confusing but found it was the
accent marks over some letters that did not copy correctly on maps so those
trying to find places on a map in the city and driving the Ring Road take
this into account.

Eating in Reykjavik and Akureyri was no problem but on the Ring Road you
would have to have your own food (celiacs) except for the two places listed
below**.  The other stops were way too busy to ask questions so would not
take the chance.

Reykjavik Centrum Hotel, where we stayed,  had a lovely breakfast
buffet.  Eggs,
bacon, smoked salmon, yogurt, fresh fruit just to mention what I could eat.
Plenty more for those non-celiacs.  They have gluten free bread, that you
have to ask for, but it was not very good in my opinion.  Since I had
plenty to eat I did not miss it.  They offer lunch in the pub and several
items looked to be gluten free.  One listmate recommend the Iceland Air
Marina Hotel as another lovely place to stay in Reykjavik with gf bread.

 **Hotel Anna – lunch on our south coast tour.  This was booked as a picnic
lunch but was in a small restaurant that is only open during the summer for
those not staying there.  However, they open for certain tours in the
winter season.  I had a tomato basil soup and lamb that was delicious. No
gf bread but I did not miss it. Looks like a nice place to stay if you are
driving the ring road.   http://www.hotelanna.is/efni/restaurant

Geysir Bistro, Aoalstraeti 2, 101 Reykjavik -  www.geysirbistro.is
[log in to unmask] - open for lunch and dinner.  Helpful and very nice.
One night I had salmon, the other lamb.

Fish Market, Aoalstraeti 12, 101 Reykjavik -
http://fiskmarkadurinn.is/english/
 open for lunch and dinner.  Very helpful and nice.  Don’t remember what I
had but both times it was good

Grillmarkadurinn –Recommended by our driver and another couple (non celiacs)
but *do not eat there.*  Not willing to work with those with celiac
sprue.  Only
bad meal, even my husband said it was the worse steak he has ever had.

Akureyri:

Hotel Kea, in Akureyri, had a breakfast buffet that was very good.  Eggs,
yogurt, fresh fruit, dates, figs and gluten free bread (must ask for, but
not very good either but if you must have bread go for it).

Bautinn , Hafnarstraeti 92, Akureyri, Iceland, was a nice place to eat.  Hubby
wanted pizza and I found gluten free that was very nicely done.  Icelandic
gluten free card worked great here.   We had a lunch and dinner here.

Strikid Restaurant on the top floor offering a sweeping view of the fjord
and mountains. http://www.strikid.is/english/page/menu.  I had the trout,
yummy.  Easy to work with on being gluten free.

**Vogafjos Restaurant/Guesthouse – excellent food and understand gluten
free – see attachment – we ate lunch there on our guided tour.  Think they
only open for tours in the winter.

Myvatn Naturebaths – lovely experience but nothing to eat for those with
celiac – www.jardbodin.is - email: [log in to unmask]  - also understand
that the Blue Lagoon has nothing for celiacs either.

There is no place to eat at the airport for those with celiac so be sure to
bring something with you.

Tip:  Everyone takes credit cards in Iceland, taxi, coffee shops, hotels,
restaurants.  Check with your bank and credit card company on their
exchange rates.  My Visa card was 3% but my credit union was only 1%.

Be sure to ask for a quiet location at all hotels as Friday and Saturday
nights are noisy on the streets and in the bars.  You do not want to be
over or near one of those rooms if you want to sleep.

If you want to try and read labels:

*Wheat:* Hveiti
*Barley:* Bygg, bankabygg
*Rye:* rúgur
*Oats:* Hafrar
*Malt:* Malt
*Caramel:* Karamella (remember caramel coloring outside of the US is a crap
shoot).
*Flavoring:* bragđ·efni
*Gluten:* Gluten

Watch out for maltitol syrup in candy. In Europe it is sometimes made with
wheat. Most if not all of their black licorice contains gluten, as does a
lot of the chocolate.