From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:52:31 EST

Hi,

   I had asked for recommendations for places I could bring my celiac teen to
eat while we were in the Pittsfield/Great Barrington/Lenox area for a ski
trip. Since we stayed in a place with a kitchen, she ate breakfasts at "home",
brought a bag lunch to the ski slopes (see warning below), and only ate dinner
out the first night at the Dakota Steak House which was very busy but she was
able to enjoy a complete meal (even ice cream for dessert).

Most places were recommended by one extremely helpful person who lives in the
area, but a big Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.
Susan in Ct
********
I have two steak/Fish \houses I like. I always bring my own salad dressing
and order plain broiled meat or fish and a baked potato at dinner.

The Dakota
Pittsfield Road Lenox (Route 7 Near Guido's and Price Chopper)

Knee Bones Steak House
Allendale Shopping Center
Northeast Corner Route 9 (Dalton Ave) and Route 8, the road that heads up to
Cheshire.  Near Friendly's KB toys etc.

Salmon Run
Corner Main Street and Franklin Street
Lee MA (Route 20 between Route 7 Lenox and I-90

Near the Dakota there is a Good chinese place that will make your order
steamed in a basket.  I bring along wheat free tamari sauce in a little
bottle.  Stay away from soups or sauces.  But they are a clean kitchen and
the owner speaks good enough english to accommodate.

(Near Butternut) there is a great japanese in that town called Bizen who will
be able to accommodate your needs if you are patient.

A little out of the way breakfast and lunch joint where they know about
celiac (not that they serve any gluten free breads or anything, but all
their cheeses are boars head and you can get a good omlette. It is called
Jill's and is located in a little strip mall near Brooks and behind a
restaurant called 51 Park Street, and some southwest mex kind of place on 20
after you turn left onto park street from main street, heading toward the
pike it is on the right. But you definitely cannot see it from the road. Ask
for Brooks pharmacy and you will be able to see it from there.

For vegetarian fare

Kripalu Center just across from Tanglewood on the Lenox Stockbridge line,
serves vegetarian meals and use mostly gluten free tamari and such and lable
pretty well. You can eat lunch or dinner there for 10$ and they always have
a great and clean salad bar, brown rice and a plain legume and plain
vegetable, even if you cannot eat the main dish. You may be able to eat the
main dish or the soup, even.  Don't be afraid to ask the servers or cooks
questions about ingredients.

Also The Love Dog Café has a similar menu.  Ask to speak to the chef or to
the owner Deborah Howard.  They serve lunch and dinner and are located in
the Lenox Shops on Route 7, the right side headed south to lenox from
pittsfeild

There are three or four GREAT indian restaurants in the area. I seem to do
well at them. They serve very little items containing flour, except for the
fried breads.  Stay away from bread and you should be OK.  Many dishes are
also prepared with chic pea flour and other legume flours.

There is one on North Street in Pittsfield at the corner of Summer Street,
near Goodwill.  They serve a great lunch buffet (closed Sunday) for 6.65!
and are open for dinner.

The best indian is SANGEET, located just across the street from the
Allendale shopping mall where kneebones is located, on route 8, (that's the
right side of the street heading north on 8.  You would head east on 9
(dalton ave)  toward dalton then make a left on route 8 heading north and it
is on your right.  They have INCREDIBLE deserts there also, this indian ice
cream made from home made condensed milk that is out of this world.
Their Vegetable Jalfrezi is EXCELLENT.
*************
 Don't eat ANYTHING at the ski areas. BYOF!
*************

We've had excellent breakfasts at Martin's on 49
Railroad St. in Great Barrington.  The staff is quite accomodating to special
requests.
One person suggested I check for an Outback Steakhouse or Bonefish Grill -
both have gluten free menus developed with the Gluten Intolerance Group. We have
enjoyed many GF meals at Outback - but unfortunately there isn't one in the
Pittsfield/ Great Barrington area.
Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free menu items.