From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 08:52:17 -0500

Diane's reminder about spelt is a good one - especially since there seems
to be a lack of knowledge about it "out there." Example - the May 1998
issue of _Veggie Life_ on page 18 - reader rights in asking about spelt
flour, having heard that it's superior to regular wheat flour. The
columnist replies that "the gluten in spelt wheat is more easily digested
than the gluten in modern wheat, making it 'better' for many people with
gluten intolerance and other wheat allergies."

Yikes! As bad as my calling an Italina restaurant to find out if they had
rice pasta, as I couldn't eat wheat pasta. The person who answered the
phone went to check, then returned to tell me I didn't have anything to
worry about - they didn't have wheat pasta - just semolina pasta...

Chris Silker
Plymouth MN