Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:46:15 -0700

The following is an excerpt from an email I received from Laurie Erickson
at Cascade Fresh Yogurt (Seattle, WA). I thought what she had to say about
labeling "natural flavorings" was interesting.

"Thank you for your letter regarding Cascade Fresh yogurt. Cascade Fresh is
an all natural yogurt. We use no preservatives, refined sugar, artificial
sweeteners, colors, flavors or additives. Our Yogurt is sweetened with
fruit juice concentrate and both the fruit and the sweetener have no
preservatives or refined sugar.

"The 'natural flavors' listed on our ingredient statements include only
concentrates of the fruit listed on the label, and essences of the fruit
that are separated during the concentration process and later returned to
the fruit for their flavor contribution. the 'natural flavors' does not
mean MSG. The new labeling laws require that these concentrates and
essences be listed as 'natural flavors' even though they are a natural part
of the same fruit already listed.

"Cascade Fresh is Gluten free, our yogurt is tapioca based with the starch
and pectin comes from a citrus derivative. I have also looked into the
fruit juice concentrate (Pineapple, Peach, and Pear) we use and it is also
gluten free."

With all the talk about "natural flavorings" this only seems to further
confuse the issue.

Cathy in Washington State