From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:57:50 -0400

Listmates:

In the last two days I've received 35 responses to my quandary
concerning the effects of gluten on the skin vs ingestion of gluten. The
majority of responses agreed with my dermatologist that gluten can't
pass through the skin and cause celiac or DH symptoms unless there is a
cut or other opening that allows it to pass through. HOWEVER, most
people mentioned the possibility of accidental ingestion of gluten from
shampoo, soaps etc while in the shower. Also, breathing it and touching
your hands to your mouth or eyes with gluten on them could cause a
problem. Many people mentioned individual sensitivities to other
chemicals in products meant for external use. (Most of the lists of
ingredients read like a chemistry set and are not clear to us mere mortals.)

One person mentioned not bathing, showering, or going out as a way to
cut down on accidental exposure. Probably not a good  idea!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Dick