From:
Claire Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Claire Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:37:27 +1000

Thank you all for such helpful and heartfelt responses- I apologise for not being able to respond to you all individually.

My question asked whether I should do a gluten challenge after being gf (self diagnosed) for 10 years.

I was surprised to find that the majority of people thought it was NOT a good idea, in fact 18 people said not to do it compared to 3 people who thought it was worth it to know for sure.

The reasons listed for NOT doing the challenge included:

3 people said that as I am hoping to fall pregnant at the end of the year, doing a gluten challenge might impact on my ability to absorb folate and calcium and therefore might put me and my baby at risk.

Quite a few people mentioned that my risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer would be increased by doing the challenge.

A number of people also had had very bad experiences with trying the challenge and ended up in hospital, or with osteoporosis.

Many people gave me useful alternative advice. Some suggested I try eating gluten for a couple of days and if it makes me sick, just accept it and go back to gf. One suggested I wait til I have finished nursing my child before trying it. One person said it might be worth doing an allergy test to see if I'm allergic to wheat.

6 people also suggested I try a gene test for CD, as you don't have to eat gluten for this. This inspired me to go to my doctor again to ask for it. He didn't know anything about it, but promised to research it for me. If anyone knows if gene tests for CD are available in Australia I would love to hear from you. Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a way to send samples overseas. A few people kindly recommended Dr Fine's Enterolab. I will contact them to ask if there is a way to send samples from Australia.

My plan now is to have the blood test without eating gluten so I have a baseline result to work from. If this is negative, (it should be), then I will try a gene test if available in Australia. If this is negative as well, I will stay gf until I have had my baby and then may try the gluten challenge.

Thank you again to all who responded- your responses literally changed my plans completely!

Best wishes,
Claire