From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:01:43 -0700

Hi listmates,

I was wondering if people could take a moment to tell me how they
arrived at a celiac diagnosis.  Mine started with migraine headaches (for
which I ate a piece of toast before bed to prevent low blood sugar
migraines before i knew I had CD). I then had a rather nasty
gastrointestinal upset for a month and couldn't eat. I dropped a ton of
weight and my headaches went away until I started eating again. A DR at a
pain clinic asked me if I had ever not had migraines and I said only
during that month. She suggested a food link. I kept a food diary and
started reading up on food causes of migraine. In my reading I noticed
that, among gastrointestinal links, CD might be a possibility. I had none
of the usual symptoms except increasing fatigue. My med texts stated that
b12 deficiency might indicate CD. So I had that tested and it was low.
After a bit of wrangling over the diagnosis with another DR, who didn't
think you could have CD and not be stick thin, I managed to get a biopsy
which confirmed CD. I'm wondering what other routes people took to arrive
at a diagnosis. Nobody else in my family has CD as far as I know but only
3 have been directly tested for antibodies and the fourth of the remaining
5 has regular checkups and hasn't shown low B12. I will summarize the

Thanks again to all who helped with the question about icing sugar!
Lissy