From:
Barbara Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:23:08 -0400

Hi all!

Thanks so much to all of you who sent replies.  Sorry it took me so long to
post.

It seems that the general consensus is that gluten enhances ADD symptons.  A
few people diagnosed with ADD and celiac disease did notice that the ADD
symptoms became worse.

Information posted in the ADD forum on AOL listed food allergies as a
possible cause of ADD . strongly held by many but "has not been proven
scientifically"

For all you AOL users out there, the keyword PEN will take you to the ADD
forum.

My sister in law is waiting to see what happens with my nephew.  Shes
convinced that if she spends a little extra time helping him learn the
symptoms will go away.

He are a few of the postings I recieved:

1.  From Charlie: "According to Dr. Fasano at University Hospital in
Maryland, there is a correlation between ADD/ADHD and CD.  My son has been
diagnosed and medicated for the past three years for ADD.  Dr. Fasano is
convinced that he has CD (we are waiting for the biopsy report) and my son
has been on a GF diet for about 6 weeks now with many accidental ingestions
during that time.  We are still waiting for the diet to "kick" in.  Dr.
Fasano believes that my son will not display ADD characteristics and will not
need medication for it if he has CD and the diet has been faithfully in place
for 2-3 months."

2. From Donna: "I have ADD and Celiac. I myself notice that if I ingest
gluten that it
inhances my ADD and I have trouble focusing. This is just my personal
observation. "

3. From Ron Hoggan: .... A few references....
"The Polish one is:
Kozlowska, Z.E. "Results of Investigation on Children with Coeliakia
Treated many Years with Gluthen Free Diet" _Psychiatria Polska_ 1991;
25(2): 130-134.

The German one is:
Paul, et. al. "EEG-befunde Zoeliaki-kranken Kindernin Abhaengigkeit von
der Ernaehrung" _Zeitschrift der Klinische Medizin_ 1985; 40: 707-709

The first indicates that 71% of celiac children, when newly diagnosed,
demonstrate EEG abnormalities. Now please note this caution:
I HAVE NO TRAINING IN THE INTERPRETATION OF EEG READINGS.

Nonetheless, when I compare the author's descriptions of the EEG
abnormalities in celiac children, and the abnormalities in children who
have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, there are some startling
similarities.

Paul, et. al. are paraphrased by Reichelt et. al. in "THE EFFECT OF
GLUTEN-FREE DIET ON GLYCOPROTEIN ATTACHED URINARY PEPTIDE EXCRETION"
_Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine_ 1990; 5: 223-239.

They say: "In coeliac children provocation with gluten after diet causes
alarmingly high frequency of EEG changes that persist up to a year (Paul
et al 1985)"

From all my readings I think there is definitely enough evidence to convince
me of the possible link.

Thanks again to all