From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:12:50 -0700

Listmates:

When I originally posted about getting sick, ONLY ONCE, from the first
time I ate food from Out Back, I had no intention of disparaging this
fine restaurant chain.  I'm very appreciative of their efforts to
accommodate the GF diet and certainly don't want to discourage anyone
else from eating there because I got sick once.  I've eaten there many
times since without getting sick. That's a pretty good track record if
you ask me.  In fact, I should have included in my original post that the
first food I ate from Out Back was not eaten at the restaurant, but
rather at a school event that Out Back catered. (And it was delicious!)
So I believe there was greater chance for contamination at the school
kitchen than in the more controlled environment of their professional
kitchens.

Come to find out, as you will read below, I had missread the menu & was
wrong about exactly which seasoning was GF & which was not.  So the
lesson here is READ, READ & REREAD the menu.

Also, I want everyone to know that I consider MYSELF, not Out Back or
anyone else, responsible for what I eat.

I received some helpful comments from list mates.  [My comments are in
brackets.]:
-----------------
Sorry, but you've misread the GF menu. Go back and look again. The meat
seasoning is indeed GF. I've eaten it several times with no problem and
so have several other people I know. The vegetable seasoning, on the
other hand, is NOT GF. It explicitly tells you to avoid the seasoning on
the vegetables but it does not say that for the meat.    You either got
contamination (which is always possible when you eat out anywhere) or
something else in the meat seasoning disagrees with you.
----------------
 Hi:  Have you checked the updated gf menu at www.outback.com?  I eat at
the Outback Steakhouse once a week, but I also had to train them.  I take
my own menu when I travel, and =====ask for the manager=====.  Needless
to say, sometimes they don't have a clue what you are talking about.  I
have eaten at Outback  steakhouses all over this country, with no adverse
effects, but I eat very plain = no seasonings.  The local one where I go
once a week is very helpful - needless to say, I know the owner and
manager and I make sure they know I am there so there is no gluten
involved.  I'm glad to hear that you gave them another try and that you
enjoyed your meal and didn't get sick.  It is the only place I will go to
eat from the menu, otherwise, I take my own sandwich or food, just can't
trust hidden gluten or cross contamination and be sick for several days -
know what I mean?  No fun at all.   Keep supporting Outback Steakhouse
whenever possible since they are
so good about working with us "Celiac people" and their gluten free menu.
 Phyllis - Ohio
------------------
I am a bit confused by this. I have eaten there several times and only
gotten ill once. ( I assumed that something was prepaerd wrong as there
is always a risk ) But your comment got me curious as I don't recall
seeing any comments regarding the spice mix on the meat. I just checked
it again and it mentions the seasoning on the veggies several times, but
I was informed that these were different mixes from the meat seasoning.
Am I missing something, because I am concerned that maybe I have been
messing up now and just not always reacting.
thanks  Steve  [So sorry that I confused you Steve!  I hope this summary
helps!]
----------------
I just ate at our Outback last night...had my usual...Filet, mashed
potatoes, Caesar w/dressing on the side, no croutons.  It is always
perfect and seasoned.  It's yummy.  Hope your experience with them
improve, they try
so hard.  Jeanne   N Idaho
---------------
Hey,  You have just given a testimonial for eating out anyplace, not
Outback in particular. You are in charge of your own healt and destiny.
The thing that bothers me is that so many CD folk choose not to eat out
at all, not knowing that they can deal with the cook  and wait staff at
any resturant in the world as long as they speak  the common language. As
a result they are missing some of the good  things in life. good luck

[You are SO right.  I gave the wrong impression in my post.  I intended
to encourage people to more carefully read the menu, NOT STAY HOME!!!]
We should be very grateful that Outback provides a GF menu.  I wish more
restaurants would.  We should all contact Outback and thank them.  We
should point out that we are eating there because of the GF menu.  Bev
Lombardi  Cheshire, Ct.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!