From:
Reshetar, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:26:07 -0600

A few months ago, my father attempted to brew some gluten free beer.  He is
not a celiac, but I am.  I have to admit, he was very successful.  I have
had this beer several times, and it was fantastic.  While not as good as a
real beer, it was about as close as a celiac can get.  Being that it was a
first attempt, he will probably make some adjustments.  But I thought I
would post his first recipe for any home brewers out there who would like
to make their own GF beer.

If you have any questions about this recipe, please let me know.  While I
probably won't be able to answer them, I can forward the questions to him
and get you an answer.

Here are the ingredients:

2 lbs of buckwheat(pure)
2 - 1 oz. Saaz hops
6 lbs rice syrup
1 pkg of liquid yeast (pilzen)

Put buckwheat grains in mesh bag (sealed with knot) and place in
brewpot with 2 gals of water.  Keep buckwheat in brewpot until water
starts to boil.

Remove buckwheat bag and discard.

Add rice syrup and 1 oz of saaz hops.

Boil for 45 minutes.

Add 1 oz of saaz hops and boil for another 5 minutes.

Cool the "wort" in ice water bath and strain into glass fermenter
filled with 3 gals of cold water.

Pitch the yeast into the brew and ensure it is mixed well.

Place the stopper with bubble release valve on the fermenter and set
it in dark place to ferment for about 6-7 days.

Boil 1 cup of corn sugar in 2 cups of water.  Add to fermenter and mix well.

Siphon beer into bottles and cap.  Let them sit for one week.  Chill and
enjoy!

Hope this helps somebody!

Mike in Iowa