From:
Moi Ravenscroft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:58:46 -0500

Hi everyone

Thank you for your replies re San-J Tamari.  Seven respondents said that
they use San-J Tamari without ill effects while 2 said they have had some
reactions to it.  Lani Thompson said the San-J manufacturers told them there
was a possibility of cross-contamination although other people, including
myself, have been given categorical assurance that the product was GF as it
is not manufactured on the same lines, so it sounds as though different
customer service folk are giving out different messages.

Of interest it is listed in the "Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group Gluten
Free Food List " as OK for Coeliacs and also I saw the following on the
Lundberg web-site: "We use organic Tamari manufactured by San-J, a
manufacturer who does not use wheat pieces to produce the organic Tamari
sauce we use. So, you are safe with all our Tamari cakes". So it sounds as
though Lundberg and maybe other manufacturers are happy to use it.

One of those try it and see products I suppose.  I certainly use it all the
time but it does highlight the difficulties in being 100% sure of what you
are eating...

Here are the replies I received:

******************

I've used it for 3 1/2 years with no problems.  Maybe they're referring to the
San-J one with wheat

*****************

Well, when I first went GF in 1994, I was extremely ill, unable to work,
lost 40 lbs while they played guessing games until they finally figured out
my problem ... and this was the ONLY 'wheat-free" soy sauce I could find -
have used it ever since, as well as LaChoy - NO problems, and believe me, I
react fast and violently!  So, try is, if it works for you, then use it

******************

San-J issued a disclaimer that said that their wheat free tamari was made in
a facility with wheat products and that there was a remote possibility of
contamination through the air.  I am very cautious, but this really seems
like a cover-your-butt response, so I have continued to use it.

*****************************

We use it too.  I asked them why their label didn't say gluten free and they
said the testing necessary for that was too expensive, but their product
definitely is GF.

*******************************

I eat it all the time with no ill effects.

********************************

You have to make SURE the bottle says 'wheat free' because their regular
tamari isn't and most soy sauces have wheat in them..  I use the wheat
free tho its hard to find sometimes.. even in the Asian grocery I shop
in they don't carry it... When I see it somewhere - usually a regular
market or health food store - I grab it.  San-J makes a few different
kinds and the labeling is sometimes confusing

****************************

They have cross contamination issues.  The conflict you're experiencing is
very common.  Truth is, it's manufactured GF, that's why the woman insisted
it's GF.  BUT we also know that they won't guarantee it doesn't have gluten
in it.  Strange, but true.  That's because they know the product can get
contaminated and don't want to be sued.  I personally get sick from it.  I
miss Tamari, but there hasn't been one which isn't cross contaminated.
Bummer.  I think the best we can do is read the label and call the mfr to be
sure it isn't blatantly cross contaminated.  Then we try it!  It is a
terrible system but we can hope there will be a new one soon.

**********************

I have had reactions to San-J Wheat free tamari--both in the bottle and bulk
from the health foods store.  I suspect they have cross contamination--this
has happened to me several times.  I prefer to use other brands.  I live in
California, and our local wonderful health food store is Whole Foods.   They
carry their own house brand.  Another that I like is Ohsawa Tamari--(800)
475 3663

*********************

Clan Thompson themselves said:

It's true we don't list San-J Wheat free Tamari as being gluten free. That's
because, when I called  the manufacturer, I was told, "Gluten is tested by
an independent lab. Test results only go down  to .17%. Product tests
negative for that, but since the test doesn't go down to "0", the company
can't say it's gluten free because there's wheat in the facility. However,
they are  manufactured on separate lines."

My personal opinion is that this product is probably safe to use and we do
use it in our family.   However, I don't feel it's my place to give my
personal opinion when I research our database. If a manufacturer says they
"can't say it's gluten free..." then I can't say it either. People that use
our database, however, can make their own judgment by reading the above
which is included in our "comments" section for that product.  It can be a
problem when different people in a company give different answers.

Take Care

Moi Ravenscroft