From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:52:15 -0600

Hi All,

Some of you will know that I struggle with asthma. I have had a
bronchoscopy due to diffuse pulmonary bleeding (which revealed nothing).
I've also had a number of asthma attacks that have required
hospitalization. Even walking can sometimes be a chore for me, as my
breathing can become quite laboured, especially where there is  air
pollution. As part of my daily routine, I exhale into a plastic device
(called a peak flow meter) that measures the maximum rate at which I exhale
(called "peak flow"), which usually runs around 325 to 350 Liters per
minute when I take my medications regularly and as prescribed. (Two puffs,
twice daily, of Serevent, Flovent, and Atrovent; Ventolin as needed.)

Since I've got celiac disease, it was no surprise to me to note that some
of my asthma attacks followed ingestion of gluten. But I've always had a
suspicion that other foods might also be a factor in my asthma. Early last
month I had ELISA testing done at Immuno Laboratories. The test identified
26 foods to which I react. I have avoided all of these foods (and gluten)
since July 15th.  I had an asthma attack following the accidental
inhalation of some lint, July 18th. At the hospital I was given an injected
steroid which, as usual, immediately improved my peak flow readings. It is
because of this confounding factor that I've been slow to report my
improvements to the list.

Since my visit to the Emergency Room at the hospital, My peak flows have
risen to the 400 to 450 LPM on less than half the medication I was
previously taking. (I'm taking one puff of Serevent and Flovent twice
daily; and have not taken Atrovent or Ventolin in weeks. I have also been
able to reduce my intake of anti-acid tablets to less than 10 per day.....
some days I don't take any.

I have just started taking supplements recommended by Dr. Braly (Medical
Director of Immuno Labs), as an additional treatment for my asthma. It is
too early to tell if they are helping. I am convinced that the diet is what
has caused the significant improvements in my peak flow readings.  My
breathing is immensely better. I am hopeful that the improving trend will
continue. Whether it does or not, I am very grateful for the improvements
I've already experienced.

I'll post any further developments to the list for those who may be
interested.

best wishes,

Ron Hoggan
Calgary, Alberta