From:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:07:18 EDT

I would like to share with the celiac community a disaster I experienced
recently with making gluten free flour mix.  I purchased what I thought was
potatoe starch and made up 24 lbs. of G.F. mix and 40 bread recipes.  I began
having trouble with the bread not coming out right and my pancakes requiring
way too much milk to make a usable batter that couldn't then be cooked enough
to keep the middle of the pancakes from being gooey.  After a frustrating
morning of failures, I began investigating my ing redients.  The oriental
food store packaging was clearly labeled potatoe starch but after taking a
spoonful of the yellow tinged powder (instead of the usual bright white
powder of starch) and mixing with a little water I discovered I had a ball of
paste,  I found an old box of white potatoe starch, mixed it with water and
noticed the dramatic differences in the mixture.  I had potatoe flour in all
my mixes and that was the problem.  Just want to let others know of the
potential problem.  Look for the bright white color for potatoe starch, you
can't beat the price of the oriental markets, but beware of the english word
translations for foreign products.